Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: sound actuator Polo GTI

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ian.perry View Post
    That's fair enough. I want it a bit louder too, but I don't like the sound from the actuator. It's why I'm looking at getting an aftermarket exhaust system.
    So when you disconnect the actuator do you get any cabin noise, or it a lot quieter?

I really don't want to have to try and disconnect it again, it was so hard and really didn't anywhere. It's like I needed 4 hands, 2 to hold the bracket up and 2 to remove.
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Disconnected you still have plenty of noise when the engine revs, but the general level is quieter - I found it made the difference between idle/cruising and heavy acceleration more pronounced, which gave me a better feel for what the car was doing.

Sort of like, if you're having a conversation with someone and they raise their voice. If they do it at the pub you can't tell much difference. If they do it at the dinner table it's a much more noticeable difference.

And if you remove the rubber edging like I did, the main thing that does is allow the plastic rain shield to flex a lot more. You'll find you can get both hands underneath it and get a better grip on the unit than you can if you just squeeze them in, because it doesn't take any force to hold the shield up any more.
    MY12 Polo GTI
    Factory Options:
    Candy White | 3dr | Comfort Pack | Bi-Xenons | Alarm | Jacky Cloth
    Customisations:
    RNS510 + SSD | Bluetooth | Watch this space!

Users Country Flag
    Sorry to revive an old thread.

I will be giving this a go this coming weekend. The drone noise when around 2500-3000rpm is doing my head in when going on longer trips, and the dash rattle is beyond annoying when giving some stick...

It has been 3 months since the last update from you guys, any new findings? Good vs Bad?

Users Country Flag
    I think most people are running with the actuator off, and then doing the middle muffler delete for a much nicer noise.

The Polo will be really quiet with the actuator off, like the TSI Golf really, and sound a little bit too much like a 1.4L engine when you're gunning it. The dash rattle will go though.

Deleting the middle muffler is a good way to get the noise back, but it can be a little loud when the engine is cold, especially with the parcel shelf out. But if you leave the seats up and the shelf in you get a nice, balanced noise and the DSG blurt will have you going full throttle all the time just to hear it.
    Last edited by readerr0r; 15-10-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    MY16 Octavia RS 162 Race Blue Combi

MY12 Skoda Octavia RS 147 Black Combi - Sold

I had mine replaced under warranty (like I would think most people would do, logically...) and I leave it attached because i hate the vacuum-cleaner-in-a-tin-can sound that the car makes without the actuator connected.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Gavs, would replacing get rid of the dash rattle?

edit: also I think the drone will still be there, removing it might be the best mod to make to get rid of 2 annoying things.
    Last edited by Zakarados; 15-10-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Yes, so long as they don't replace it with a faulty one.

This people is why you have a warranty. By all means, jump on the forums to get info but what about when you sell the car, a prospective buyer drives you GTI after someone elses with the actuator connected and asks "Hey, why does yours sound so tinny?" to which you reply "I disconnected the sound actuator to get rid of an annoyying rattle from it.". "Why didn't you just get it replaced under warranty?"asks the buyer......

Now you have to try and convince said buyer that you did actually care for your car yet, in their mind, you were too lazy to go to the dealership to get something fixed under warranty, so how well did you really look after the car.....

Little things that an enthusiast will look at and why someone might sell their GTI at their asking price, yet you might keep getting offered $5k under what you are asking, if you can get any buyers at all.....

Food for thought for those who would rather just disconnect a plug.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

I didn't have any dash rattle; removing mine was just to get rid of the growly noise because I'd rather have the car quiet when cruising. Different strokes for different folks.
    MY12 Polo GTI
    Factory Options:
    Customisations:

Users Country Flag
    So removing the actuator gets rid of ONE rattle? the one that sounds like its coming from the middle of the dash?

Using tape, foam or whatever, to secure the actuator, will actually stop the rattle or is it the actual unit that's faulty?

My service centre is utterly useless.

I think that's where the resonator that the actuator controls is located... I guess it's pretty possible for that thing to be faulty. Is that what they replaced for you gavs?
    MY12 Polo GTI
    Factory Options:
    Customisations:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast