Thread: Radiator leaking GTI

Users Country Flag

Radiator leaking GTI

I've searched 20 pages of threads and not found anything.

How easy is it to change the radiator on a polo? Ours has just started to leak and am waiting to hear if it is still covered by warranty, car is just over three years old and I have been told it has another two years on gearbox and engine.
    If it's not I will do it myself but can't work out how it comes out, have seen a video of the intercooler being done and the front has to come off.

Users Country Flag
    You would at the very least need to remove the front bumper, disconnect anything electrical, as well as radiator hoses, intercooler hoses, etc, and unbolt the front carrier assembly, and support it somehow. The radiator is at the rear of it, so if possible, you could tip the whole lot forward enough to tilt the radiator back and slip it out the top.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that, I was looking and found a video of the replacement of the intercooler and that's what they did. I've done a few radiators over the years but they were straight forward ones that did not need bodywork removed.

Just found out that the extended warranty is dealer specific (Klosters, who didn't know about the oil squirters.) my normal dealer suggests I ask them and see if they will try a goodwill claim as the car is only just over two months out of time. If their warranty does not cover it.

Update !
    Klosters Newcastle put in a goodwill claim, and it was accepted by VW.
    Big shout out to Andrew the service receptionist who put the claim through, really nice chap, very informed and helpful.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotRok View Post
    Update !
    Klosters Newcastle put in a goodwill claim, and it was accepted by VW.
    Big shout out to Andrew the service receptionist who put the claim through, really nice chap, very informed and helpful.
    Wow - who would have thought someone at Kloster VW in Newcastle would be either:

1) Knowledgeable
    2) Helpful
    3) Able to fix something

Well done.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Wow - who would have thought someone at Kloster VW in Newcastle would be either:

1) Knowledgeable
    2) Helpful
    3) Able to fix something

Well done.
    He used to be on the tools, Mitsubishi before moving to VW, where he said he spent 9months on the floor before taking over the receptionist post.
    Had a much better attitude than their Cardiff branch. Only let down was they didn't clean the car.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotRok View Post
    He used to be on the tools, Mitsubishi before moving to VW, where he said he spent 9months on the floor before taking over the receptionist post.
    Had a much better attitude than their Cardiff branch. Only let down was they didn't clean the car.
    You wouldn't want the average muppet at a car dealership washing your car so id be seeing the lack of wash a positive Their car wash facilities and products are dreadful.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    You wouldn't want the average muppet at a car dealership washing your car so id be seeing the lack of wash a positive Their car wash facilities and products are dreadful.
    Ha!
    I use only Autoglym products have done for over twenty years now.
    My Amarok looks as good as the day I picked it up.