Support VWWC

Thread: Potential cylinder head issue 2010 polo

Potential cylinder head issue 2010 polo

Hi - I have a 2010 77TSI Comfortline Polo - I love(ed) that car.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience a cylinder 3 misfire which is not attributable to the usual suspects? The car was barely out of the garage when it started making noises and driving rough, then all the lights came on and we limped home. It was towed to the VW service centre at the dealership that sold me the car, and I've been told me I need to pay 1k to find out what is wrong, however they think it is likely to be a cylinder head at a cost of 5-6k.

I'm a little suspicious as my googling is telling me that for my type of engine, there are lots of known issues. The timing chain has already been replaced, and I stupidly believed my service centre when they told me that VW was unlikely to pay for it under goodwill - this was 18 months ago and I've since noticed that just about everyone on this forum has had their cars fixed under good will at no cost... Has anyone had any luck getting this cost covered retrospectively?

I've spoken the VW customer care who have been supportive, particularly as the service centre haven't found the time to ring me back, but I'd be curious to know if anyone else has had a similar issue. It doesn't appear that the timing chain broke, but before it was changed it did make the rattle noise.

Check spark plug leads. Swap cyl 3 and 1 and see if the misfire moves cylinders. When you swap them make sure to swap them at the coil pack and the spark plug itself.z

Mine randomly crapped out 3 weeks ago. New leads solved the issue. Does it drive really rough up to 2000RPM, but semi okay above 2000RPM?

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog

+1 for leads mine on my 2010 packed up too and exhibited those symptoms but dealer would surely know that, did they tell you what they had discounted before telling you 1k? (I.e they need to pull the head off)

I was told it wasn't the leads, it wasn't the coils, and it wasn't the spark plugs. I looked at the leads myself because I had an issue with it two years after it was bought, but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary other than the addition of the heat protection sleeves. The dealer said they needed to strip down the engine and send something off for diagnostics so they would know what is wrong with it. VW customer care said the dealer would then send them the outcomes of the diagnostics, and they would make an assessment on goodwill but they couldn't tell me if it would get anything back until they assess.

When it happened, it was a good thing I was around the corner from home because it wasn't really drivable. If I hadn't already had the timing chain replaced, I would have thought that's what might have done it from some of the other things I've read. But I am suspicious - I don't know much about car stuff but for a car that was bought new in late 2010, it's had heaps more issues that I would have thought.

Funny story - I'd just ordered a new Tiguan with everything but the sunroof and although it was going to take 11 months to arrive, I was happy to wait because I still love the polo, and thought it would still be going strong for years to come.

Unfortunately I don't see how it could be the leads, while it has been a bit difficult trying to work out how to approach the situation (esp after the knock back on the timing chain replacement and buying the new Tiggy) but I don't think the dealer could be that bad!

Users Country Flag

Wow so you just ordered a brand new car from them and they're still being unhelpful!? Ouch!