Thread: possible 1.4tsi track build questions

Users Country Flag

possible 1.4tsi track build questions

Hi all,

My 9N3 Polo Gti is dead after it became a tin can squished between two SUV's in a nasty traffic incident. My options for a future car are to do the 9N3 Gti Polo thing again, or go for a twin charged Polo/skoda vRS. I did a bit of searching without much success but hope I can be helped with a couple of questions.

1. I won't even bother unless I can fit a decent LSD to the 7 speed box so I was hoping to discuss LSD options for this box and get any feedback from anyone who has run them on the track.

2. thuis question kind of ties in with the first question. Without a doubt I'd be looking at a DSG tune upgrade. This would be to take advantage of more sporting shift points in particular on the down changes, but primarily for greater clamping force on the clutches. An LSD is going to force the clutches to deal with a hell of a lot more torque transfer so again I was wondering if anyone who has fitted an LSD could give feedback on how the boxes deal with the extra forces going through it and also what is the pick out of the DSG tunes out there with regard for the most aggressive shift points/down changes etc.

3. Last question is for ESP, changing the ABS thresholds, traction control throttle cuts etc. Has anyone figured out how to disable all this stuff or again is there an ECU mod out there that can make this stuff magically disappear?

thanks for any help guys

sam

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just found a bit of stuff regarding the ABS thresholds which is good.
    I was interested to see that there is some wriggle room in VCDS to play with stock open diff control. Didn't realise it was called XDS in the 6R - was just part of traction control in my car and was cancelled when the ESP off button was pressed. So when you set this to XDS "strong" in VCDS it apparently gives more inside wheel brake modulation to minimise inside front wheel spin - but is this accompanied by engine cut? The polo 9N3 gti would literally put your head into the wheel when the traction control stepped in because it used a combination of brake modulation but also throttle cut. Does the 6R twincharged use engine cut or none at all? If it does, how does it do it (throttle cut or timing cut) and can it be killed/modified in VCDS too?

Also, can the 6R be left foot braked and if not is that modifiable in VCDS or via an ECU tune?
    sam

I've got a tuned manual 1.4 twincharger in my Golf 118TSI. I love it but it's not a great engine to tune. Parts can be expensive, especially if you want it done quickly. Piston and DSG repair costs will horrify you. Peak output on the stock K03 is ~160kW and it costs to get there.

I don't have any specific answers for your questions but:

I've been through the LSD thing on an Alfa and a mechanical LSD kicks nine colours of crap out of the electronic traction control.

This thread has some details on Polo LSD applications: Need help with LSD upgrade.

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't touch the Polo/Fabia 1.4 twincharge engine and DSG combo if you paid me - especially not if you want trouble free motoring. Either grab another 9n3 with the 1.8T 20v or save your pennies and get the updated 6C Polo with the 1.8T and manual gearbox.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I wouldn't touch the Polo/Fabia 1.4 twincharge engine and DSG combo if you paid me - especially not if you want trouble free motoring. Either grab another 9n3 with the 1.8T 20v or save your pennies and get the updated 6C Polo with the 1.8T and manual gearbox.
    I agree with this notion hands down. 1.4twin charger is garbage compared to its predecessor and successor. The new 1.8T is the same motor as the Golf R with a shorter stroke to bring down capacity and a smaller turbo to match it. You can get an APR tune and make 187kw up from 141kw and 390nm up from 320 (in manual) which is nuts for a 1.8T with just a flash.

Thanks fellas. Lucky I've been on quiet nightshifts because I've been doing a tonne of research and had come to the same conclusion. One of the main attractions to me of the twin charger was that it was a compact and light motor in a one step up chassis to what I've had (stiffer and slightly lighter body apparently) and provided it would hold together I think the 7 speed would be unreal for rapid fire upchanges at the hillclimbs. But given the 20V 1.8T's pedigree and reliability when tuned I've eered towards staying with the 9N3 Gti.
    I think I read somewhere that the twin charger block is the same as the 1.4 16V from the 6N - anyone twin charged a 6N Polo? that would be a weapon.
    Thanks for the link to the LSD thread too. I'll have a spare box to build now that I've decided to buy the wreck from the insurance company and I'm struggling to decide between an SQS plate diff or a wavetrac. The car will be street driven at least over the next two years which I have to factor in re wear etc so yeah i'll have a peak at that thread.
    thanks
    sam

Twin charging is an awesome concept, like on the Lancia Delta S4, which pumped out over 350kW from a 1.8L engine back in the mid 1980's! The supercharger on that was almost as big as the engine head. The 1.4 is very light, you can lift the block up by yourself. Most likely because VW made the internals out of play dough.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't more on the VW forums about LSD upgrades. Once you get to around 180kW you're really suffering in FWD at low speeds without one.

I was put onto this site by mmmracer who I hillclimb with. Apparently they are the gun tuners when it comes to twincharged engines and the 7 speed dsg: TMG Performance