Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polo GTI rear silencer Muffler replacement

Users Country Flag

Polo GTI rear silencer Muffler replacement

Hi

Newbie here just recently got my polo gti 2015 manual and i want to remove the rear muffler to a straight pipe for purely aesthetics and sound.

Will the removal of the OEM muffler cause any warning lights popping up and or will it do something to the power button in a sense that i would lose that sound when i hear the power is on.

Anyone done something similar?
    thanks.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    wow no takers?

Users Country Flag
    Hi Mate,

sorry no idea what a power button is but unless they have done some big things to Polo mufflers lately, then removing your muffler will have no nil effect other than to make it louder. The 9N3 gti had an a choked reverse flow muffler and in its absence the car did feel stronger but I cant say if you'll find the same power benefits without knowing how well the OE mufflers flow. I replaced my muffler with an aluminium rear pipe and still have the centre resonator and at civil speeds it growls, pops and crackles on over run etc all the fun stuff and isnt too loud really, but it is pretty obnoxious when you are really going for it.
    Unless your muffler is flanged you'll have to cut it off, buy two flanges welding one onto the exhaust and one onto your new straight pipe. Your straight pipe will need all new hangers (2) fitted too. Flanging is a good if you want the option to put the muffler back on (so when you cut it off make sure you leave enough pipe its entry to be able to weld a flange to it and get nuts in behind it). If not, then just weld some mild steer straight pipe straight on with hangers.

Gidday! you lost me there mate lolz

basically what the power button does its i think it tightens the suspension, the steering and gives it the sportier sound. not quitte sure if it lowers the suspension at the same time. maybe thats what it does as it feels alot bumpier.
    The sportier sound (internally anyway) I have read somewhere its just fake sound and it comes out of speakers.
    but in case it doesnt and it opens some internal valve in the pipes i dont want to cut that off.

im not interested in power gains mainly for just a little louder than usual and to lessen the diesel sounding tone of the car haha.

can i just remove the last muffler where the outer pipes are connected to it and replace that with a straight pipe ?

Users Country Flag
    Oh ok. No such buttons on my Polo. get your head under there and have a look at the muffler casing. If there's no wires or solenoids hanging off the muffler (therefore no actuated flaps inside the muffler) then you can be rid of the whole thing without a drama. Yep the muffler can be cut free from the exhaust that feeds it and its tips cut off too once its on the ground, and then a straight pipe welded in where the muffler used to be. Your old tips might be able to be adapted onto the end of the straight pipe, whatever you want to do there really.

ah noted. makes sense with the wires. i'll try to check it out tomorrow.

another question would i make my polo illegal if i attach a straight pipe instead of a muffler with a straight pipe inside?

The power button "sport" is on the dash above head unit and is like a mode selection. From normal to sport mode. Polo's 2016 on got them I believe. Not sure if exhaust gas valve flap or just internal speaker noise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    In addition the Sport button tweaks the throttle response as well

Users Country Flag
    perfectly legal unless you breach the 88dB or whatever the test is. I've been next to HWY patrol cars that looked like they were on the prowl and none have bothered over the sound mine makes and its a 3in dump, 200 cell Cat, resonator and no muffler so is pretty loud.

Users Country Flag

Polo GTI rear silencer Muffler replacement

Try a mid muffler delete, less drone. $150.....

SPORT Button - 2015 MY16’s onwards;
    * doesn’t lower car
    * stiffens up dampers
    * better throttle response
    * heavier steering
    * activates fake intake noise....”SOUNDAKTOR”.

No wires/flaps on exhaust apart from oxy sensors way up front. Cut away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mi16 Man; 07-02-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast