Support VWWC

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Polo GTI on P-Plates

Users Country Flag

Although by me agreeing to this I metaphorically shoot myself in the face, I think this is pretty much spot on. I think there should be a kw/tonne ratio (I think mine is 99kw/tonne) for ALL cars for P-plater not just turbo-petrols. Because I think it is epically stupid that I can go and get a Falcon G6E or a Porsche Boxster on my P's but not a Fiat 500 Twinair or a Polo 77TSI. I do get wake up calls when I driving around where I might suddenly find myself braking excessively when I didn't need to if I wasn't following as close as I was to the car in front. Also I never exceed the speed limit unless it is a single lane each way highway and some slow guy is in front, then I will exceed the limit to get past the guy as safely as possible so I'm not in the oncoming lane for an extended period of time.

Since moving to the Gold Coast I've noticed drivers are really quite crap (excessive speeding, running red lights, no indicators etc). There is a notorious stretch of road that is 60km/h leading onto the Smith Street motorway where I don't think I've seen anyone do the speed limit as everyone just screams past me. It is very tempting to go faster and keep up with the others but when/if the police catch me, what is my excuse going to be? Oh everyone else was going fast so I thought it would be OK....not gonna happen.

I have many friends that have already written off their cars in the first year of ownership on their red-P's and I just find that ridiculous. I think peer-pressure is big concern when it comes to under 25 crashes. I've had friends in my car say, "oh how bout we see how fast this turbo is man!" I just ignore even if it means getting paid out for the rest of the day. Better being paid out for the rest of the day than have a crash...

Honestly if I was getting a first car I would not get a Polo GTI as a first car, probably a 77TSI. That way once you are feeling more comfortable with driving and have some experience you can add a tune for a bit more punch. FYI my current DS3 is not my first car. I had a 66TDI as a first car before my DS3. Also I would strongly suggest advanced driver training.
    TRADED THE BEE'12 Sport Yellow/Black Citroen DS3 DSport THP155(155cv/153bhp) 6-spd manual w/ tech pack.

'18 BMW 125i M-Sport | Sunset Orange | Sunroof | ZF 8-spd auto

I made this thread almost 5 years ago, wowee.. I got my first car, a brand new 90tsi DSG Golf, early 2014 when I got my P's. I then handed that down in 2015 to my brother and got myself a 2005 Subaru Liberty Spec B, spent over 5k on it (terrible mistake), tuned on e85 and all that. It blew 2 head gaskets and I called it a day. And tomorrow, I'm finally picking up a 77TSI like I said 5 years ago... hahah

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314