Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polo GTi 6R DSG Shudder - VW To Diagnose... What should I expect?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Haha! I made sure she knew that creeping with a DSG is bad. Her travel to and from work is against rush hour traffic, but there is no telling what the previous owner did. Whenever I've been in the car with her I have't noticed her do it, but half an hour or so into the trip, it will start to shudder in 2nd gear at low revs.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    There was a batch of early models of which yours may fall into this category that had delaminating clutches.
    As it gets worse You may notice it happen in 4th if you slow then take of agin while it's in 4th. Mine towards the end would do it from a stand still in reverse taking off as well.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI

Hmm, well the clutch isn't displaying those symptoms as of yet. Seeing as its not under warranty, I'm sure they'll find the cause as they will get money out of it. Dropped the car off this morning and I asked them to quote and necessary repairs, hopefully they'll do the right thing and not sting me for everything. Time will tell...
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Users Country Flag
    Not sure if it's relevant but I test-drove a new Polo GTI at the dealer 2 weeks ago, 26 km on it, and it had a slight shudder at low speeds (~10 kph, cold engine) that my late-2014 polo 1.2 81 kW DSG does not exhibit, but not enough to concern me. Once on the move upshifts felt much sharper in the GTI and I expect the shudder is a result of a minor drivetrain resonance at low RPM.
    Last edited by KiwiME; 21-12-2016 at 10:53 AM.

I find they can be a bit "clunky" when the clutch is engaging and disengaging, and sometimes a little rattly on rough roads between gear changes, but this issue is foot down in second gear and it shudders violently, something that you definitely notice. Good concept, they just haven't nailed it.

Just had a call from Northshore VW. ~$2500 to replace the clutch packs, parts and labour included in the quote. However, he is submitting a goodwill application for me and will hear back in the new year.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigR View Post
    I find they can be a bit "clunky" when the clutch is engaging and disengaging, and sometimes a little rattly on rough roads between gear changes, but this issue is foot down in second gear and it shudders violently, something that you definitely notice. Good concept, they just haven't nailed it.
    Perhaps they have pushed the limits in the GTI, although I saw no similar issues on full throttle acceleration on the new car, and my 1.2 Polo's DSG shifts silently although it still has low kms.
    Given the complexity of replacing the dry clutch unit that sounds like a reasonable price if you end up paying for it.

Does anyone know how long it takes for VW to come back with an answer about a good will repair?

Finally heard back from Northshore VW, and to my surprise, they are going to help me out.

They have offered to cover 100% parts and 20% labour, bringing the total out of pocket expense to $850, which is about 1/3 of the original quote of 2.5-2.6k. Very happy with that, considering the car is 2-3 years out of warranty with almost 100k on the clock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12