Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polo 7 Speed DSG Mechatronic and/or Clutch Failures - Please... please share yours !

Users Country Flag

Polo GTI 1.8L 6C DSG ( May 2015)

12,000km in from new, full throttle 2nd to 3rd shift at 5500rpm it had a false neutral which would slam 3rd gear hard. You would feel the slam go right through the whole body of the car.

Essendon Volkswagen lead tech went out for a drive with me and observed something wrong, they did DSG update but it had no affect. He scheduled a new Mechatronics unit to be fit in a months time. Unfortunately when I dropped it off they hadn't even ordered it yet so it sat with them for 2 weeks while I drove around in a sub-par rental car they gave me. Even after explaining my son had special needs they wouldn't budge further in assisting us.

Since receiving the car back we've done since new now about 55,000km, the DSG was fixed from the slamming false neutral fault.

They've now done another DSG update on my car at last service and between 80-100kmh the car surges when cruise control is active. It is due for a service in a couple of months so I'll deal with that then.

issues aside, i love the gearbox. the DSG shift in stock DSG tune is way better than my stage 2 MK5 DSG (also stock dsg tune)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    My 2 Polo GTIs, both DSG

2013 Polo GTI
    Owned it 2 years before trading in, modified but no issues with DSG

2015 Polo GTI
    Just coming up 2 years old
    Only issue has been with 2nd to 3rd gear clunk which the dealer could have fixed quickly with a software update, instead got stuffed around by incompetent service and tech. managers who did not even bother to contact VW Australia.
    Now has the Harding DSG Performance tune which is fantastic, the way VW should have done it in the first place.

Love the DSGs and I'm not so sure it deserves all the bad comments it gets in this forum and in the media etc. I'm sure there are many happy Polo DSG owners who do not post in forums.
    Thank you for responding so promptly, so you had an issue with the stock DSG software and VWA wouldn't or didn't help so you went to Guy H.

Just wondering, how many kms you did in the 13 Model before trading at the 2 year mark ?
    Owner and Operator of 2013 Polo GTI - Sunroof - Xenons - Reflex Silver
    APR Stage 2 Tune - HP Carbon Airbox - Jetex Stainless Cat Back Exhaust - APR I/C
    Plus a few other bits and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by NuffNuff View Post
    Polo GTI 1.8L 6C DSG ( May 2015)

12,000km in from new, full throttle 2nd to 3rd shift at 5500rpm it had a false neutral which would slam 3rd gear hard. You would feel the slam go right through the whole body of the car.

Essendon Volkswagen lead tech went out for a drive with me and observed something wrong, they did DSG update but it had no affect. He scheduled a new Mechatronics unit to be fit in a months time. Unfortunately when I dropped it off they hadn't even ordered it yet so it sat with them for 2 weeks while I drove around in a sub-par rental car they gave me. Even after explaining my son had special needs they wouldn't budge further in assisting us.

Since receiving the car back we've done since new now about 55,000km, the DSG was fixed from the slamming false neutral fault.

They've now done another DSG update on my car at last service and between 80-100kmh the car surges when cruise control is active. It is due for a service in a couple of months so I'll deal with that then.

issues aside, i love the gearbox. the DSG shift in stock DSG tune is way better than my stage 2 MK5 DSG (also stock dsg tune)
    Thanks for your reply... so the Software was updated twice and now you have a surge present.

Do you think it is gearbox related or something different ?
    APR Stage 2 Tune - HP Carbon Airbox - Jetex Stainless Cat Back Exhaust - APR I/C

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    My 2 Polo GTIs, both DSG

2013 Polo GTI
    Owned it 2 years before trading in, modified but no issues with DSG

2015 Polo GTI
    Just coming up 2 years old
    Only issue has been with 2nd to 3rd gear clunk

Love the DSGs and I'm not so sure it deserves all the bad comments it gets in this forum and in the media etc. I'm sure there are many happy Polo DSG owners who do not post in forums.
    I agree at some level... but I also believe that there are probably people that are having problems and they dont post here or elsewhere either.

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2012 GTI and about 1.5-2 years into ownership, had clutch slip and got clutches replaced. Also got many "updates" but I'm not sure if anything was even done...

Since the new clutch packs, I've been pretty predominantly driving in manual to not ruin the clutch now its out of warranty and no problems so far besides the computer thinking i want to downshift when i want to upshift or vice versa which results in a shud/jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by jayc29u View Post
    I have a 2012 GTI and about 1.5-2 years into ownership, had clutch slip and got clutches replaced. Also got many "updates" but I'm not sure if anything was even done...

Since the new clutch packs, I've been pretty predominantly driving in manual to not ruin the clutch now its out of warranty and no problems so far besides the computer thinking i want to downshift when i want to upshift or vice versa which results in a shud/jerk.
    So clutches and software vut you are not sure it made any difference ?

How many kms at that time ?

So now driving manually but when you change up... the software makes it change down... is that how I understand the issue ?

That is rather concerning or is that when in auto ?

Regardless that is scary...

Can you please confirm ?

Cheers for your reply too ?

Users Country Flag
    Mines a 2015 GTI with 48,000kms with a clutch pedal... zero problems

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyoshi View Post
    So clutches and software vut you are not sure it made any difference ?

How many kms at that time ?

So now driving manually but when you change up... the software makes it change down... is that how I understand the issue ?

That is rather concerning or is that when in auto ?

Regardless that is scary...

Can you please confirm ?

Cheers for your reply too ?
    No more shudder after clutch replacement so thats a difference.

I mustn't have explained it very well. The mechatronics thinks I want to change down or up and when i dont do what it thinks, the car jerks. Not scary just how its programmed.

Other than that its been great. No problems whatsoever.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyoshi View Post
    Thank you for responding so promptly, so you had an issue with the stock DSG software and VWA wouldn't or didn't help so you went to Guy H.

Just wondering, how many kms you did in the 13 Model before trading at the 2 year mark ?
    It had only done about 13,000 ks when I traded it so I'm probably not a good test case for the DSG. Traded because it was becoming an oil burner.
    2015 Polo GTI with DA pack : Milltek Turbo back exhaust | DD spacer | JB1 | VWR Turbo Intake elbow and intake hose | BMC panel filter | KW Street Comfort coilovers | Whiteline adjust. endlinks | Harding DSG Perf. tune | Wagner Intercooler| Dotz Mugello 17 x 8 32ET

Ok... thanks everyone for messages and replies, has given me a good insight into what is obviously a failure of the 7sp DSG in many cases.

If anyone needs a copy of the My13 Polo or Golf Brochures, just PM me.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast