Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of stock again (and happy)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 77kw polo TSi View Post
    I can testify to the difference it makes to the 77kw motor, and to John's responsiveness to his clients. It only takes a few moments of driving without the DNA treatment to remember how 'stock' feels like. Now it's zippy and engaging again.
    Well everything is relative and you get used to what you get used to. My Polo feels normal because that is now what I am used to. But when I get into Mum's Yaris (which was fine before I got the Polo), I realise how much difference there is between the two engines and how they deliver their power. I forget that with other cars, you need to press the throttle down and change down a gear to go up hills. With the Polo, everything is pretty much flat and you hardly have to touch the gear stick.

If you had been driving a tune giving 125 kw and 260 nm of torque, you would probably say the 100 kw / 225 nm lacks mojo

I was wondering, though: does the DNA tune change the way the Polo drives on light to medium throttle in first gear? This is the one real gripe I have with the Polo and it surely must have been deliberately done by VW to "save" the clutch and transmission. I suspect at full throttle it would go fine, but it feels like there is no turbo boost whatsoever in first gear unless you decide to absolutely floor it. I would rather first gear feels exactly the same as the other gears - i.e very responsive at light throttle.
    MY13 Polo 77TSI manual transmission Comfortline in Candy White - "Herr Marco"

Users Country Flag
    yeh i absolutly hate that about the polo, i find all the other cars at the lights just pull away from me

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 77kw polo TSi View Post
    Took my beloved DNA enhanced polo to trusted VW garage for a check-up on it's hesitation in gear engagement. The dealer was great - very thorough, even resetting the engine management software to diagnose what might be wrong...

...boy did I notice the difference when they'd finished with it. My Polo had lost its mojo. It took me a day or two to realise, but then only a minute or two to act.

I called John and DNA and he shipped me out his software again. 15 minutes of install time, and my polo got its mojo back.

I can testify to the difference it makes to the 77kw motor, and to John's responsiveness to his clients. It only takes a few moments of driving without the DNA treatment to remember how 'stock' feels like. Now it's zippy and engaging again.

I'm just glad the Polo I know and love is back

Merry Christmas and safe driving to all,
    Hi 77kwpolotsi, can I ask, how much have you spent on mods to your car? And how close to the GTI in performance is it? I ask because I have a mate who's driven my GTI and loves it but can't quite stretch his budget that far. But a lightly used 77kw model + mods would be in his price range.

Cheers,
    Michael

Current Ride: Golf GTI Mk7 MY2014|DSG|Carbon Steel
    Previous Ride: Polo GTI MY2012|DSG|RNS510|Shadow Blue|Lenso GF7 18” rims
    Instagram: @lemonskin

Out of stock again (and happy)

Michael, while not the person you directed your question to, a tuned 77tsi with upgraded suspension is quite a little weapon. That being said, in regards to outright performance you will not be able to match the GTI, purely because even with a tune, you have quite a big power and torque deficit to overcome. I'm not trying to sound superior by being a GTI owner, I'm just saying that the stretch to make a 77tsi closer to GTI performance, he could probably pick up an ex demo or low km 2nd hand GTI.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    Michael, while not the person you directed your question to, a tuned 77tsi with upgraded suspension is quite a little weapon. That being said, in regards to outright performance you will not be able to match the GTI, purely because even with a tune, you have quite a big power and torque deficit to overcome. I'm not trying to sound superior by being a GTI owner, I'm just saying that the stretch to make a 77tsi closer to GTI performance, he could probably pick up an ex demo or low km 2nd hand GTI.
    That was pretty much my advice to him, There's a few on carsales for mid-20's, He'd prefer not to have to pay more than 20k though. Might pay to look at a used mk5 Golf GTI even... would have plenty of km's on it but would have the performance he wants.

Current Ride: Golf GTI Mk7 MY2014|DSG|Carbon Steel
    Previous Ride: Polo GTI MY2012|DSG|RNS510|Shadow Blue|Lenso GF7 18” rims
    Instagram: @lemonskin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonskin View Post
    Hi 77kwpolotsi, can I ask, how much have you spent on mods to your car? And how close to the GTI in performance is it? I ask because I have a mate who's driven my GTI and loves it but can't quite stretch his budget that far. But a lightly used 77kw model + mods would be in his price range.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Hi Michael,
    I've honestly found the suspension setting perfect for me so have not touch that. I've only altered the performance via the DNA tweak and I think I paid mid $600s for it. Don't know what John charges now, but anything sub $800 on a newish Polo would be worth it in my opinion. There is vast difference in creature comforts and driver innovations inside a 6R polo with comfort pack, compared to an older gen Golf.

It's not a GTi but its not trying to be. It's simply a more refined and responsive 77kw.
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gavs View Post
    I second what gave said. The TSI is great especially with the tune and some decent coilovers but the amount of money it would take to get the power of the GTI out of the 1.2 would not be worth it

Users Country Flag
    after reading quite a few threads on the dna tune for the 1.2 polo tsi, every comment seems to be quite positive

order of mods for me at the moment is (1) tints, (2) lower the rear because its so damn high at the moment and (3) get the dna tune

would still be interested in getting a quick spin in one if a melbourne owner is willing

Users Country Flag
    Just picked up the 77TSI and yes first gear take-off is a bit underwhelming.

Might be interested in getting the DNA tune but how easy is it to do on a MY13?
    VW Golf Mk7 90TSI Comfortline Pure White

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by yauipop View Post
    Just picked up the 77TSI and yes first gear take-off is a bit underwhelming.

Might be interested in getting the DNA tune but how easy is it to do on a MY13?
    from what ive read, there are several differnt ecu's on the market, only way to find out is to for dna to plug in and see if yours is compatible or not

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast