Thread: Ongoing DSG Issues

Users Country Flag

Ongoing DSG Issues

I've just taken in my sisters polo because that is, for nth time, stuffed again. Keeps getting warranty work and is just never doing what it's supposed to. Worst part is my sister not being anywhere near as obsessed with her car doesn't notice the issue, until she has a near accident. I borrowed her car recently, went to Westfield shopping centre and was just about to exit a ramp when the car started rolling back almost 3.5 meters before I grabbed the hand break. My sister would have nailed the car behind if there was one.

This is after warranty work on the gearbox last year where the car wouldn't get out of some type of limp mode, just as we hit the harbour bridge on the way to work - and had to proceed to over the bridge into the city and back to north shore Volkswagen - in first gear.

My Golf R had both mech unit and clutch packs replaced and has not since had an issue.
    Last edited by tigger73; 01-02-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: moved posts to new thread
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by REXman View Post
    I've just taken in my sisters polo because that is, for nth time, stuffed again. Keeps getting warranty work and is just never doing what it's supposed to.
    It sounds like she has a lemon. Has she tried to use the "lemon law"? Lemon laws protect you - Car News | CarsGuide

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladbach View Post
    It sounds like she has a lemon. Has she tried to use the "lemon law"? Lemon laws protect you - Car News | CarsGuide
    It certainly had been a lemon. I'm really disappointed for her, she doesn't even really clean it anymore let alone drive it, because there is always the gearbox or another problem with it. It now has 37K kms.

I hope North Shore get it right this time. I'm the one who recommended her to get a VW! Arrrggghh!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the update Shane. Please let us know how it goes and also what it's like to drive once you get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 01-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

Users Country Flag
    It certainly had been a lemon. I'm really disappointed for her, she doesn't even really clean it anymore let alone drive it, because there is always the gearbox or another problem with it. It now has 37K kms.

I hope North Shore get it right this time. I'm the one who recommended her to get a VW! Arrrggghh!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the update Shane. Please let us know how it goes and also what it's like to drive once you get it back.

Maybe she should be taking the car back and getting her money back. Seriously. There's no way I'd put up with that!

2017 Audi S3

So quick update on this one for my sisters car.

We dropped it off on a Tuesday, and assumed it would be ready by the Friday. Friday rolls around.. no call, email or SMS to let us know they need the car for a while longer. They ended up finally calling my sister today for the first time - nearly three weeks later to say there is no issue they can find.

We have called VWA. They seem to be taking charge. My sister has a copy of the history of the car (been in 4/5 times for warranty on the gearbox) and expressed the disappointment this car has been for her. And I have to agree with her. VW has given her an absolute lemon and the aftercare has been pretty ordinary.

We have spoken with VWA this afternoon and explained that this thing is a death trap and they will take a look at the car - hopefully we can get the mech unit replaced.

We have also bought a Golf R and Tiguan 162 last week from there, so hopefully that counts for something.

Anyway - sorry to be negative - will keep posted!

Last edited by tigger73; 01-02-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You're not being negative, certainly a lot more patient than I would be!

The minimum I would accept at this point is that they replace the entire gear box. Either that, or provide a replacement vehicle. Perhaps that's aiming high, but with the consumer protection laws in place, I'd at least be talking to the department of fair trading and getting their advice.

p.s. Pretty much every manufacturer would be the same in this case - people have problems with vehicles all the time and have to fight for their rights.

2017 Audi S3

Hopefully they don't need me to go right up the line and we can resolve this for what it is, a well known and documented issue.
    Thanks Gladbach. I'll see how we go.

Users Country Flag

How did you go ???

Would love to hear the result... and what other issues you have had too. Perhaps you might want to say more at this new post.

Polo 7 Speed DSG Mechatronic and/or Clutch Failures - Please... please share yours !
    Owner and Operator of 2013 Polo GTI - Sunroof - Xenons - Reflex Silver
    APR Stage 2 Tune - HP Carbon Airbox - Jetex Stainless Cat Back Exhaust - APR I/C
    Plus a few other bits and pieces.