Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKADA Projects Plasma Direct Coil Pack Replacement Review

Users Country Flag

OKADA Projects Plasma Direct Coil Pack Replacement Review

Hi All,

I recently ordered the OKADA Projects Plasma Direct Coil Pack replacement kit from kdperformance on eBay and i thought i'd share a few of my thoughts about the product with you...

Firstly, given the claims from the manufacturer of "4 times more spark energy than stock coils and also generate an ultra fast multi-spark discharge of 10 sparks up to highest RPM. The spark amperage is increased 100%," i was expecting the coil packs to reduce or remove any jerkiness or un-logged misfires caused by my stronger tune, or the OEM coil packs... All i can say is wow! No jerkiness, even gear changes seem smoother. Acceleration is definitely improved, kick-down seems more violent and the engine isn't wobbling around as much at idle... Pretty much solved my issues

Onto the installation... Now OKADA recommend a professional install these parts, but because i'm adventurous i thought i'd give it a bash myself. Overall it was pretty straight forward, i needed the assistance of the VW CAVE Engine workshop manual to understand what to remove so i could access the first coil pack. But from them on it was pretty self explanatory.

OKADA provide pretty clear instructions, however they don't explain how to remove the various connectors and oil re-circulation tubes to get at the first coil pack... Which was a bit annoying, however given that the product was only designed for professional installation this can be overlooked.

Again on the ease of installation; i'm a computer technician, this is the most involved installation i've ever done on my car and i found it pretty straight forward.

Overall i'm really happy with the product. Cost was ~$800 shipped... Big bit of coin but after following Hurdy's GTI build in the UK I felt this was a necessary addition given that i'm about to go APR Stage 2 with the Harding Performance DSG Upgrade.

Last edited by RandomX; 19-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    2012 Volkswagen Polo GTI (Shadow Blue) | Current Upgrades - APR Stage 2 Tune | GFB DV+ | HP Cold Air Intake | OKADA Plasma Direct Coil Packs | HP Exhaust | HP DQ200 Tune | Whiteline Rear Sway Bar | Uprated Engine Mounts Planned Upgrades - | Coil Overs | HP Intercooler |

lol I've got no idea where I should be looking in that photo.

Thanks for the write-up... Any chance of a video?

Interested in finding out the exact HP/torque increases if you ever find out.
    Last edited by Ryan_R; 19-10-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Nice work, good to hear you have sorted another iffy link in the chain. You running replacement plugs too?

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    lol I've got no idea where I should be looking in that photo.

Thanks for the write-up... Any chance of a video?

Interested in finding out the exact HP/torque increases if you ever find out.
    They are the 4 little red and black things that have all the wires running to them

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Oh ok, was looking for more old-fashioned white spark plug tips

See, i found the OKADA plugs made no notable difference in my car at all.

APR have my car developing the software for the LOBA LO270 here in the UK, and we were suffering highboost misfires which were limiting us severly in how much boost we could run. I sup0plied a set of these, despite APR saying they had tried them on many cars before with no discernible resulting difference , but i went ahead anyway, and lo and behold, they have made no notable difference and the misfire at high revs/boost is still there haunting us.

Would i pay full price for a set of these - Not a chance. I got them cheaper so it wasnt such a waste of money, and at leats i know they are stringer than stock.
    Fabia vRS 1.4TSI - APR Beta Stage 3 | LOBA LO270 Hybrid | VWR Intake | VWR Downpipe | Pace Products Radiator | Pace products Intercooler | Okada Coilpacks | Devils Own Water Methanol Injection | VWR Springs | Tarox 6 pot 323mm BBK | Superpro Chassis Bushes | Braille lightweight Battery | team Dynamics Prorace 2 alloys | Awaiting fitment: H&R anti roll bars, VWR engine mounts.
    Build Thread: >>HERE<<

OKADA Projects Plasma Direct Coil Pack Replacement Review

Have you looked into a CDI module?
    http://www.mwignitions.com/pg_cdi_ignitions.php

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomX View Post
    Hi All,

I recently ordered the OKADA Projects Plasma Direct Coil Pack replacement kit from kdperformance on eBay and i thought i'd share a few of my thoughts about the product with you...

Firstly, given the claims from the manufacturer of "4 times more spark energy than stock coils and also generate an ultra fast multi-spark discharge of 10 sparks up to highest RPM. The spark amperage is increased 100%," i was expecting the coil packs to reduce or remove any jerkiness or un-logged misfires caused by my stronger tune, or the OEM coil packs... All i can say is wow! No jerkiness, even gear changes seem smoother. Acceleration is definitely improved, kick-down seems more violent and the engine isn't wobbling around as much at idle... Pretty much solved my issues

Onto the installation... Now OKADA recommend a professional install these parts, but because i'm adventurous i thought i'd give it a bash myself. Overall it was pretty straight forward, i needed the assistance of the VW CAVE Engine workshop manual to understand what to remove so i could access the first coil pack. But from them on it was pretty self explanatory.

OKADA provide pretty clear instructions, however they don't explain how to remove the various connectors and oil re-circulation tubes to get at the first coil pack... Which was a bit annoying, however given that the product was only designed for professional installation this can be overlooked.

Again on the ease of installation; i'm a computer technician, this is the most involved installation i've ever done on my car and i found it pretty straight forward.

Overall i'm really happy with the product. Cost was ~$800 shipped... Big bit of coin but after following Hurdy's GTI build in the UK I felt this was a necessary addition given that i'm about to go APR Stage 2 with the Harding Performance DSG Upgrade.

Do you have a copy of the VW CAVE Engine workshop manual? Also what did you use to remove the old Coils?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Users Country Flag
    +1. What tool did you use to pull the coilpacks out? Service manual refers to specific 'T-handle' puller that has a hook on the end with a point.

The usual retail auto shops don't seem to sell anything similar, Just Tools have something that looks similar, but don't know if it would work.

maybe one of these?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DETROITCANDY View Post
    +1. What tool did you use to pull the coilpacks out? Service manual refers to specific 'T-handle' puller that has a hook on the end with a point.

The usual retail auto shops don't seem to sell anything similar, Just Tools have something that looks similar, but don't know if it would work.

maybe one of these?
    Here is a thread that has a link to the coil pack puller; 60,000km Spark Plug Change (1 fouled)
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast