Thread: Which oil is suitable for polo GTI?

Users Country Flag

Which oil is suitable for polo GTI?

Hi everyone. I've got a 2011 Polo GTI, in flash red , and am pretty sure it's got that annoying oil usage problem. Serviced in Feb 2014 with an oil top up and 1.5 months later the oil on the dipstick is near minimum, with no engine light on :/ since Feb its only done about 1200km. I'm wanting to top it up but don't want to pay VW for the oil and labour (car is out of warranty). What are some appropriate oils I can use for my engine? The forums have suggested the Shell Helix extra ultra

Shell Helix Ultra Extra - Australia

And this website here lists it as appropriate:

Volkswagen Oil Standard 504.00 / 507.00 Approved Oils | my-gti.com

Your input would be really helpful. Also I've never topped up my own oil before, but I'm assuming just unscrew, pour, check dipstick then screw cap back on? Thanks!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hng049 View Post
    Hi everyone. I've got a 2011 Polo GTI, in flash red , and am pretty sure it's got that annoying oil usage problem. Serviced in Feb 2014 with an oil top up and 1.5 months later the oil on the dipstick is near minimum, with no engine light on :/ since Feb its only done about 1200km. I'm wanting to top it up but don't want to pay VW for the oil and labour (car is out of warranty). What are some appropriate oils I can use for my engine? The forums have suggested the Shell Helix extra ultra

Shell Helix Ultra Extra - Australia

And this website here lists it as appropriate:

Volkswagen Oil Standard 504.00 / 507.00 Approved Oils | my-gti.com

Your input would be really helpful. Also I've never topped up my own oil before, but I'm assuming just unscrew, pour, check dipstick then screw cap back on? Thanks!
    Penrite Enviro+ is probably more commonly available at Supercrap or Autobarn and can be bought on special at times for about $69.

Get the one with VW approval on the bottle NOT THE NEW G5 which is a GM oil.

A sensible owner would check the oil at least weekly if using car regularly. Who knows when a leak may develop, running the sump dry.

Yes that's what you do it about a liter between full and empty so only put it in in small amounts as too much is worse than not enough.

Wait a few minutes before checking the dipstick to let oil run down and first pull it out wipe it with a clean NONFLUFFY rag and put it back Count 3 and pull it out. The 3 is very important.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I've got a 2011 Polo GTI, in flash red , and am pretty sure it's got that annoying oil usage problem. Serviced in Feb 2014 with an oil top up and 1.5 months later the oil on the dipstick is near minimum, with no engine light on :/ since Feb its only done about 1200km. I'm wanting to top it up but don't want to pay VW for the oil and labour (car is out of warranty). What are some appropriate oils I can use for my engine?
    Volkswagen would have you use an oil that complies with one their oil standards. For petrol engines on the Time & Distance service regime (i.e. vehicles on fixed 15 000 km / 12 month service intervals), the relevant standards are either VW 502.00 or VW 504.00 - check the label on the bottle.

Volkswagen do not recommend a specific viscosity grade, but 5W-30 is a commonly used grade for all modern Volkswagens. However, if oil consumption is a problem, then a 5W-40 grade may (or may not) help to reduce it.

If the vehicle is no longer within the warranty period, there is no need to use an oil that complies with VW oil standards, but the onus of selecting an appropriate oil then falls onto the owner. This shouldn't be an issue for someone who is able to differentiate between what is and isn't a suitable oil for a 1.4 L direct-injection forced-induction 4-cyl petrol engine with a factory-specified 15 000 km / 12 month OCI for Australian conditions. (If you don't know what any of this means, then stick with 502 or 504 oil).

The forums have suggested the Shell Helix extra ultra
    Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 is fine to use, as is Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 suggested above.

Also I've never topped up my own oil before, but I'm assuming just unscrew, pour, check dipstick then screw cap back on?
    Always refer to the owners manual or handbook to ensure the oil level is checked accurately and consistently for a particular model.

The oil level in some engines have been designed to be checked when cold (i.e. at ambient temperature). Others have been designed to be checked when hot (i.e. at operating temperature). The book should state which is which.

Ensure the vehicle is on level ground.

All these factors can affect the reading on the oil dipstick, and if not accounted for, can lead to underfilling or overfilling.

The level between the MAX and MIN markers on oil dipstick represents about 0.5 litres or 1.0 litre (depending on what you read on the internet). Whatever the true figure is, pour in a small amount of oil at any one time, wait a few moments, and check the dipstick before proceeding further.

The above may look like a lot of text, but it's all just simple and logical stuff, really.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Great, thanks guys. Will check out both oils and see which one is cheaper Topping up oil sounds easy!

Users Country Flag
    Under warranty or not? I would still recommend using an approved oil. It's your engine the oil protects not the dealer's.
    If the oil usage is an issue, choose the oil which the second number is higher, instead xW30 use xW40 or even xW50 (if you find one).
    On the oil's specs sheet, look for the oil with the higher Flash Point, it will be more resistant to burning.
    Last edited by Transporter; 01-04-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Car is out of warranty. Just checked the manual and it says for 132kw engines I should be using 504 for long life and 502 without long life which is interesting since people are recommending 507 oils... If I use the shell or Penrite oils will they damage my car? Also if the viscosity is too high wouldn't that damage the engine too? Thanks for your input

Users Country Flag
    Car is out of warranty. Just checked the manual and it says for 132kw engines I should be using 504 for long life and 502 without long life which is interesting since people are recommending 507 oils... If I use the shell or Penrite oils will they damage my car? Also if the viscosity is too high wouldn't that damage the engine too? Thanks for your input
    No they wont Think about it If they are suitable for longlife (which is not practiced in Aus) they would hardly hurt your engine for a lesser period.

You could use an approved 502 oil and there are some 5w 40 of those.

a slightly heavier oil helps prevent blowby etc and sometimes reduces oil consumption.

You are overthinking this Take the advice given as it is all good.

Forget longlife we only use time and Km in Australia.

I run Enviro+ both in the Petrol Polo and the Diesel Passat with no ill effects. Have done for 3 years and neither car uses oil.

Topping up may be "easy" but read what was said PUT SMALL AMOUNTS IN AND CHECK EACH TIME.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Haha thanks hillbilly, will take in the advice! Thanks for all the help.

Users Country Flag
    I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 on my Polo.

Wish I had have read Transporters comments above a year ago! Might have helped my dismal oil consumption.

Current Ride: Golf GTI Mk7 MY2014|DSG|Carbon Steel
    Previous Ride: Polo GTI MY2012|DSG|RNS510|Shadow Blue|Lenso GF7 18” rims
    Instagram: @lemonskin

Users Country Flag

Australian cars are on fixed (without longlife) service. 502.00 (petrol) is OK. Most people recomend 504.00 (petrol) as it is also 507.00 spec (diesels) & therefore, no matter what car you put it in, you can't make a mistake.

Re-read Deisel Verts reply about viscosity & VW standards.

As Hillbilly said, your overthinking the whole thing. Go & buy either the Penrite, Shell or Valvoline 504.00/507.00 and top up your oil. Then check it every fuel fill. Don't rely on the warning light.

Did you bother to do a search on the topic because this stuff has been answered a thousand times over on this forum.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums