Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog

Hey guys and girls.

I decided I'll try and keep a worklog of the things I do to the newest member of the family! The car is a 2010 77tsi Polo. This one just has the sports pack, and has done 120k.

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog-20170211_104636-jpg

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog-cp5362083460132729413-jpg

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog-20170130_192708-jpg

The car is pretty much completely stock, the only modification being some carbon fibre look inserts on the rear vw badge. It looks pretty nice so I'll keep it for now!

I've always been a bit of a car nut, and self taught myself CAD. I started a business last year called Atrax Engineering, just making car parts and stuff. I do hope to make a fair few parts for this car, a bit of a learning curve involved as this is my first euro!

First thing I've been designing is an oil filter adapter adapter. The main reason is I'd like to run an oil cooler, as well as a temperature and pressure gauge. There are plenty of sandwich plates around, but none of them are compatible with the 1.2tsi because our filters have a springed plastic piece on the bottom of the filter.

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog-asd-png

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog-asdd-png

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog-ffd-png
    Last edited by Kesh; 16-02-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Interesting. Especially with VW and as a diesel mechanic myself I'd be checking the flow and pressure specs of the oil pump.

It's something I considered. I abandoned that because the costs were just far too high. I will probably rely on water temps instead for the time being. For those interested, a much easier place to get oil pressure and temperature is the sender just on top of the cam cover. There are adapters made to tee off this sensor.

Users Country Flag
    Why? I've ran supersprints in mine and and never had a temperature issue.

Peace of mind I suppose. My previous car had a head gasket issue and would constantly overheat, so it's just something that I want to know the state of when I feel necessary. I will probably stick to OBD2 at this stage as it seems to be working great.

It's also worth noting that the car will be tuned, and is very much a development platform, so any knowledge is power.

Users Country Flag
    But can't you just read the oil temperature anytime on the multi-function display? Even under extreme driving conditions during this last summer in temperatures over 45C the oil temp maxed out at 104C which is well within a reasonable range. Average temperatures sees it sitting between 94 -100.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Unfortunately, the 77tsi only has the basic MFD which means no Oil temps etc.. But I ran the car at the mountains a few nights ago and water temperature reached 99, but remained stable. Intake air temps are very high though. Venting the hood is my next little step.

Also got a muffler delete and a conservative tune put on the car yesterday, has made a very sizeable difference to every day driving. 0-100 speeds were down from 11 seconds to 9.7 or so. Same conditions. Peak boost is 16psi, which will be brought up once I've had time to log everything and make sure the engine is happy.

As said before, intake air temps seem quite high, (53 degrees, 22 ambient), so I want to figure something out there as well.

Users Country Flag

Kesh's 77tsi Build Thread / Worklog

Sounds like you want water injection which will have a huge effect on reducing intake temps. Are you sure the car is running 16PSI? Thats alot of boost for that tiny turbo, and no doubt contributing to your high inlet temps as these cars dont run a traditional intercooler. I thought they ran about 5-7 PSI stock.

Quote Originally Posted by DNA Tuning View Post

Logged data for 77 TSI upgrade; local dyno runs will be performed in the near future.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-03-2017 at 03:37 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast