Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    Hi Dave, from memory (it's been a while since I worked on the Production Car Mk4 R32) the in tank fuel pump access is under the rear seat and the filler tube is around 4.5 cm ID and a bit more than 120 cm in length. That's around 2 litres in the metal tube itself, plus the rubber joiner and the twin breather tubes, so I'll stick by my 2 to 3 litres.

Or is the TDI fuel tank different?

Cheers
    Gary
    Doh!!! Without looking you may well be right. Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy I was thinking of another car I owned in the past. Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy

Two things come to mind: one I know little about my Golf, and two: the reason I know little about my Golf is that nothing has ever really gone wrong with it. I replaced the timing belt last year only to find for the first time that it is in fact a DOHC engine, and a couple of months ago I replaced all four half-shaft boots. That's about it in over ten years. Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy

Now roks I do know little more about, from completely stripping two down and rebuilding one. Fuel Gauge/Range AccuracyFuel Gauge/Range Accuracy Why you ask? Well, because I could. Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy Updated from MY11 to MY14 with far more bells and whistles and from manual to auto. Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy So, does anyone have a spare V6 TDI laying around? Hahaha.

Ok. Back on topic. Fuel Gauge/Range Accuracy

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave

Users Country Flag
    they arent very accurate at all. ive driven into some servos with 20km estimated and the amount to fill up has varied from 40-44 litres

you never know what will happen so i tend to fill up before i get to the red zone.

Users Country Flag
    My late 2015 81TSI manual Polo appears to have an accurate fuel guage taking approx 23L at half full of what is stated a 45L tank. The lowest range I have filled at a few times has been 25km with the guage indicating half way through the red where it takes 41L. I would hate to try to see what would be required to fit 45L in it.

Our Golf Mk7 on the other hand easily takes more than its official 50L, once taking 52.76L at the pump cut off with 5km showing on the range.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    Our Golf Mk7 on the other hand easily takes more than its official 50L, once taking 52.76L at the pump cut off with 5km showing on the range.
    Sounds about right, a 50 litre tank plus 2 to 3 litres in the filler less 1/3rd of litre to do 5 k's

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amazeer View Post
    I've had mine on 0kms a few times. It gets pessimistic overnight. I can park it with 10kms showing and then say 0 the next day.

I've driven on 0kms for 10kms and put 42 litres in. One of those freeway moments when you think you'll make it to the next stop but then pucker up when it becomes clear you might not.

My speedo is correct because I have oversize tyres. If you have the stock tyre size with the 7% inaccuracy I'm not sure if that would make it more pessimistic or optimistic. Either way I wouldnt recommend chancing your luck.
    What size difference is there in your tyres because when I did the comparison at 7% they would need to be 45mm larger which in Qld is illegal
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12