Thread: Is this engine a lemon?

Is this engine a lemon?

I have a 2013 6R GTI with 55k on the clock.
    I’ve had it 3 months and it has so far shown all the common symptoms that people complain about on this forum.
    I’ve had to put oil in it after less than 5000ks. The gearbox sometimes shudders on pullaway at low revs. The idle is erratic especially when warm and most recently it’s been missing and juddering at low speeds and heavy traffic. The yellow Cat light came on yesterday so I took it back to my dealer to check it out. Fortunately it’s still under stat warranty but he has said that it may need to go to VW and they are aware of issues with this engine.
    So my question is. Does anyone have this car and live with it day to day problem free or is it just a lemon I should get rid off ASAP?
    Ps I have read the sticky thread from Gavs i just wish I’d read it before I bought the car.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    5,000 k's for oil top up is quite common in low friction engines, not a big deal.
    I'd get the dealer to work through the usual suspects for misfiring, plugs coils, injectors etc.
    It is 4 years old, so for only 55'k its been sitting around a lot or even worse doing short city trips.
    I'drun a couple of tank fulls of 98 through it as well.
    If you haven't already, take it for a long run on the freeway, for at least 2 hours, clean out the crud.
    We never had a problem with ours in 100,000 k's, so don't panic, they all don't have problems.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    My wife uses hers to go to work 20min commute each way and it runs fine since it had the oil squirters done under warranty. Now at 48,000ks. Uses minimal oil now too.

Thanks guys appreciate the comments and advice. The car is currently with VW after compression test showed no probs but codes still pinging up and lights coming on. Very happy with my garage as the have given me a loan vehicle and liaised with VW around the problems. They did share that VW are aware of the issues with this engine and have an extensive diagnostic test to do on it which could take a while. Personally I’m just happy they are looking at it and whatever the problem they will sort it FOC. I’ll post back results once I get the car back.

Quote Originally Posted by thesouthgates View Post
    Thanks guys appreciate the comments and advice. The car is currently with VW after compression test showed no probs but codes still pinging up and lights coming on. Very happy with my garage as the have given me a loan vehicle and liaised with VW around the problems. They did share that VW are aware of the issues with this engine and have an extensive diagnostic test to do on it which could take a while. Personally I’m just happy they are looking at it and whatever the problem they will sort it FOC. I’ll post back results once I get the car back.

Ok got the car back from VDUB on Tuesday. They cleared the codes and confirmed a faulty sensor was causing the lumpy running and lights on dash.
    I must admit the car is now driving better than it was when I bought it so hopefully this will continue for years to come. V thankful for my dealer Gibbons Holden who managed the whole thing and gave me a loan car for the 2 weeks while it was being fixed.

Users Country Flag

Good result.