Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: DSG "False Neutral" Yesterday...

This thread has been interesting reading.... recently my car has been shuddering (and it is very noticeable shuddering and not what I would describe a normal noise!) in 2nd gear only. The problem it is it is very intermittent! I can replicate the exact same conditions and it will do it 4 times in a row (basically as I think gavs described earlier in the thread, coming to 2nd gear putting under load and accelerating away and shudder!), and other times it won't do it at all for awhile even if all the conditions are right! My car is having its service next week (I would like to go to Burwin but I can't due to distance from my work) so I'm not looking forward to dealing with the dealership about this

Got my clutches replaced today. Holy crap, the car is like a dream to drive. I really think they were ordinary from the get go.

If anyone in Melbourne is having clutch issues, go to Burwin VW. They're completely awesome!!!!
    Polo GTI - 5 door - Candy White, Xenons, Comfort Package, Audio Upgrade, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors and Tint

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prcurrie View Post
    Got my clutches replaced today. Holy crap, the car is like a dream to drive. I really think they were ordinary from the get go.

If anyone in Melbourne is having clutch issues, go to Burwin VW. They're completely awesome!!!!
    ^ LOL told ya so Pleased you gave them a go mate and good to hear you're enjoying the drive again.....apart from the soot that is
    Current ride..MY10 Golf MkVI GTI | 5 dr | CW | < DSG >| Leather| Dynaudio | Sensors | Tint | R tails
    Current ride...MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI | 5 dr | CW | Xenons | Alcantara Leatherette /4

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by prcurrie View Post

100% agree.

DEVASTATED

Car was at Burwin today to get the Oil Breather fitted and when I rocked up they told me that the clutches have to be replaced AGAIN. The new ones aren't even 4 weeks old and they're already well outside the acceptable range.

I must say Burwin are good as they picked up on the clutches when they took it for a test drive and the tech didn't like the feel (when accelerating hard its not smooth and it jerks a little).

He said they have the case open with VAG to see whether a new clutch pack is the right approach. I also said to them that I want the mechatronics unit checked as well and he said that's already on the list.

Its not booked in until late Jan so I guess that will be enough time to see if the oil breather pipe works.......
    Polo GTI - 5 door - Candy White, Xenons, Comfort Package, Audio Upgrade, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors and Tint

Friends just got a new Golf with the 7spd DSG and the dealer gave them 5 years warranty on the DSG. Told them that there have been problems with that box.

Will be calling VAG on Wednesday to get my extended warranty considering I'm about to get my 3rd set of clutches.

Users Country Flag
    I'm also in the new machatronics/clutch box.

VW Osborne Park has my car in for 3 days next week to get it all replaced. This doesnt even include the fact my car drunk 3.3L of oil in the last 930km (odo is up to 9,400 now...)
    MY12.5 Candy White 5 door Polo GTI. Upgrades/Mods = RNS510 H LED, RVC camera, Auto Lights Dash Sound Actuator GTI button, Gavs Footrest(!)
    WIP = Miltek Turboback Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Red Stuff brake pads (Nov '13)

Users Country Flag
    Seems like an ongoing trait with the GTI's so far the most reliable out of entire Polo range is the 1.4 or the TDI xD followed by the TSI and finally the GTI :/

Users Country Flag
    My MY11 Jetta 118TSI DSG is 12 months old. It's had its clutch kit replaced in November 2012 due to shuddering.

Just yesterday (New Years Day) I experienced this false neutral people have been talking about. I've been driving it in manual for 30 mins on semi-windy and roundabout ridden Canberra roads. This means I was going between first to fourth gear quite often.

I was turning right on a busy roundabout when I was in 2 but felt as if I was in neutral. Needed to stop on the side as cars were lined up behind me. The car "glided" to a stop just coming out of the roundabout. Got annoyed as I believe I was put in a dangerous situation by the DSG.

Anyway... has there been any definite solution for this problem? Or does it still happen intermittently to most people using manual a lot?

Users Country Flag

I assume you we're going under 10km/h going through that roundabout. this has happened to me before in a carpark in manual. I'm to assume its got to do with software and the timing between when you want to shift and when the computer thinks it must shift to keep the engine running.

For example in the carpark I was driving in 2nd under 10km/h @about 1300rpm (just above the gear kickback threshold at 1200) and came to a speedhump and slowed down and I shifted down to 1st (because the engine would stall) but because its an auto it had shifted down just as I did. I assume the gearbox became confused and went into N and I had to stop. Put it in park and then back to drive and was all good.

I haven't had a problem since. since then I don't ever manually shift down into gears lower than 3rd, ive noticed its very jumpy in comparison to D or S and again I think it has a lot to do with the way the gearbox logic works. Normally the gearbox will coast to a stop in 2nd and only go into 1st when stopped.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast