Thread: Buying used 1.8T 6R GTI - Questions...

Talking Buying used 1.8T 6R GTI - Questions...

hi all,

I sold my 9N APR stg 1 GTI about 3 years ago, now am ready for a 9N 1.8T GTI in manual guise Am looking forward to returning to the VW family.

But before I proceed, I just want to get some advice for the following questions:

1. Is MY16 vastly better than MY15? I understand that the major difference is that MY16 comes with electronically adjustable damper control (dynamic damper control?), but MY15's dampers are not adjustable. Does it make much real world difference? Or am I actually better off with a simple non-electronic damper set-up, i.e. less maintenance headache down the track

2. my old 9N GTI suffered from quite a few niggling issues, including a head unit that refused to work on very hot days, failed headlight switch (rear fog light remained on), a bit of oil leak from the PVC valve and a ruptured pipe connecting the turbo to the throttle body (may have something to do with the APR tune... ). All happened in my 18 months of ownership and the car only had about 45,000Km on the clock. So my question is - does the 6R 1.8T GTI have better reliability than the 9N? Or will I be haunted by mechanical gremlins again?

3. How much quicker is the 6R stock compared to 9N with APR stage 1? Or is it actually slower? If memory serves me correctly, I think the APR tune gave the 9N 152Kw, more than 6R's 141Kw

4. Anything else to look out for when shopping second hand 6R GTI? I am after a manual.

Btw... I am cross-shopping the GTI against Fiesta ST... My head (and SWMBO) says GTI, but my heart is on the ST... both models will be replaced by new shapes sometime this year, so it is probably not the best time to buy as prices for current shapes will take a nosedive after the new models have been release. Except, I need a car in a couple of months!

Many thanks in advance!

From my limited experience having owned mine for about 2 months
    1. The Sport mode does give extra throttle response as well. And the car does corner better. I think the two modes are noticeably distinguishable. The soundaktor is a bit too much in Sport mode I think - I've run with it off and at 60% and agree with previous experiences that 60% probably the best level. I think also My16 as standard gets a reversing camera which is useful. And is Apple Car Play and Android standard on my16 cf to my15?
    2. Can't say much - so far so good
    3. The 6R/6C 0-100 km times you know. I don't have any experience with the 9N APR Stage 1. I think in the Bang for Buck test though the Polo matched or beat the Golf GTI stock for 0-100 times?
    4. Luxury pack gives the LED lights and the leather-alcantara with sunroof. DAP gives the sensors and Nav. I went for white with the luxury pack because of the nice contrast in the roof and the led lights (couldn't do halogens again). Didn't care too much for Nav because it's a city car... and the car is quite small so didn't bother me that it doesn't have sensors.

What's the budget?

Users Country Flag
    Had my manual 2016 almost a year, I've had zero issues since purchase. Personally I would go the 2016 over the 2015, the ride on the 2015 dampers is quite busy and having the option to switch from sports mode to comfort is very handy, not to mention reversing camera and Apple Carplay/Android Auto. The updated suspension does make quite a difference to the handling of the car, Motor lapped Winton 2.2 sec faster in the 2016 vs the 2015, so it is a much nicer setup to have.

The Fiesta is also a great car, it's more fun to drive compared to the Polo, cheaper to run and there are much more aftermarket performance parts for it. The build quality and interior is lacking though compared to the Polo, if you can get your head around that and the always on firm suspension the Fiesta would be the way to go. I've driven Fiesta ST's a few times and they've always managed to make me smile far more than the Polo. The Polo is the sensible daily choice, it's nicer inside, the engine has heaps of torque it's comfortable, the interior is much nicer with more gadgets. The Fiesta would always be my choice on a twisty road though.
    MY18 Passat 206tsi R-Line | Harvard Blue | Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Agree with the previous 2 posters but on a 2015 you will obviously do better price wise if price is an issue. There is a 'DA' option with reverse camera and sat. nav. but no Carplay although a few members of this forum have got Mirrorlink working it will cost you around $300.

Sure the 2015 suspension is firm but bearable. If you intend to lower, a 2015 with KW Street Comfort coilovers will give you ride and handling that I suspect is way better than a 2016.

A stage 1 tune will impress you and a stage 2 + hardware will blow your mind.

Cheers
    2015 Polo GTI with DA pack : Milltek Turbo back exhaust | DD spacer | JB1 | VWR Turbo Intake elbow and intake hose | BMC panel filter | KW Street Comfort coilovers | Whiteline adjust. endlinks | Harding DSG Perf. tune | Wagner Intercooler| Dotz Mugello 17 x 8 32ET

Users Country Flag
    So i just bought a second hand 2015, and LOVE IT. Best car hands down i have owned. The only reason i went to a 2015 over 16 was the price, my budget was way over stretched as it was, i just didnt have the money for a 16. I'm not unhappy, but a 16 would be nicer.

1. Is MY16 vastly better than MY15? I understand that the major difference is that MY16 comes with electronically adjustable damper control (dynamic damper control?), but MY15's dampers are not adjustable. Does it make much real world difference? Or am I actually better off with a simple non-electronic damper set-up, i.e. less maintenance headache down the track

I find the 2015 suspension to be rather firm, about as firm as my old WRX which had upgraded springs and shocks. If you are driving on rubbish innercity roads i highly recommend getting the 2016 if it is softer (i dont know if it is harder or softer compared to mine) in comfort mode. Highway driving its awesome. I really only have trouble with those squared cement roads, god knows why they even exist. Maintenance no idea.

2. my old 9N GTI suffered from quite a few niggling issues, including a head unit that refused to work on very hot days, failed headlight switch (rear fog light remained on), a bit of oil leak from the PVC valve and a ruptured pipe connecting the turbo to the throttle body (may have something to do with the APR tune... ). All happened in my 18 months of ownership and the car only had about 45,000Km on the clock. So my question is - does the 6R 1.8T GTI have better reliability than the 9N? Or will I be haunted by mechanical gremlins again?

Never been in a 9N GTI, but my experience of 4 months with this car have been exceptional. The only issue i have had so far was one time my AC compressor didnt work at all. I fixed it by restarting the car, i figured since this motor has variable compression for the AC (pretty cool, lowers the compression based of engine load) it might just be a software bug. I checked, it threw a code, googled and not a single person had the code, it's not done it since so i'm guessing its a freak one off. Not worried about it.

3. How much quicker is the 6R stock compared to 9N with APR stage 1? Or is it actually slower? If memory serves me correctly, I think the APR tune gave the 9N 152Kw, more than 6R's 141Kw

Not sure, i'd bet on the 6R as it has variable valve timing on the intake, variable cam profile on the exhaust ports, twin scroll turbo and direct injection for heavy load.

4. Anything else to look out for when shopping second hand 6R GTI? I am after a manual.

I bought a manual, love it. I really didn't want to deal with a DSG with clutch pack issues or a failing mechatronic unit even if they are much better than they were. DSG is still super expensive if something goes wrong.

Btw... I am cross-shopping the GTI against Fiesta ST... My head (and SWMBO) says GTI, but my heart is on the ST... both models will be replaced by new shapes sometime this year, so it is probably not the best time to buy as prices for current shapes will take a nosedive after the new models have been release. Except, I need a car in a couple of months!

In my opinion it is the BEST time to buy a car at end of life. The list of quiet behind the scene fixes and mid life modifications cars recieve over their production life time is very large. Buying a new model means new design and engineering issues, workers are not familiar with the contruction and workmanship isn't as good. I also think for the most part facelifted models seem to age a lot better than the originals.

Another thing, the 2016 has better V2 head unit which has a boost guage and apple/android carplay, 2015 can't do it.

I'd stay right the **** away from ford. Absolute rubbish build quality and crazy depreciation, mainly because they are massive step down from the VW. Maybe not as noticable new, but at 100,000km you'll see a BIG difference.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/pro...port/cars/ford
    Click more, and then compare to VW

Number of recalls:
    Ford 141
    VW 57
    Last edited by Mitchh; 07-02-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks guys for your input and suggestions.

My budget is low 20's plus on-road costs. Which really only allows me to look at MY15's, Polo GTI's seem to hold onto their value incredibly well. I can pay more if I wanted to, but given the expected usage of the car (weekends only), I cannot justify spending more on it.

Will keep looking around for a suitable example...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bakersdelight View Post

My budget is low 20's plus on-road costs. Which really only allows me to look at MY15's, Polo GTI's seem to hold onto their value incredibly well. I can pay more if I wanted to, but given the expected usage of the car (weekends only), I cannot justify spending more on it.

I had an 9n GTI on stock tune 4 years ago and my gf just bought a 6r MY 15 GTI.

The new polo is a great car. No issues so far after 2 months. DSG works great. Suspension is firm but not as bad as my 9n on lowered springs.

it is very civilised (maybe too civilised) and my stock mk5 golf GTI feels noticeably quicker and it makes more noise.

Maybe a manual version will be better due to all the extra torque.

The 9n polo had a lot of issues ie. Dodgy central locking. Cracked dash . but new polo feels like a golf inside and will last better.

Try to get one with options but they aren't cheap.

If my gf drove manual I would have pushed her into the fiesta ST. Get more equipment as standard and it's more exciting.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    2008 POLO GTI - SOLD
    2005 MkV Golf GTI - couldn't resist

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bakersdelight View Post

I ended up paying $23,000 for my 2015 GTI manual with 15,000km on the clock in November last year. I think that is a fair price