Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audible click when turning the steering wheel while the turn indicator is engaged?

Users Country Flag

Audible click when turning the steering wheel while the turn indicator is engaged?

Hello everyone,

Tell me, does anyone, or does everyone hear a sharp plasticy ‘click’ from the steering wheel whenever they substantially turn it while indicating?

This has bugged me since I bought my MY13 Polo. The VW service staff assured me that this was completely normal but I’ve found this assertion very hard to swallow. My wife’s crappy Mazda doesn’t do it, in fact, no car I’ve ever driven has done it. I’m hoping it’s actually a fixable fault rather than the dumbest design for an indicator stalk ever realised.

I really look forward to hearing from the community on this and I hope to hear that I suffer alone!

All the best,

John

Users Country Flag
    Every car I have ever owned, and that's a lot of cars, makes some noise when the return mechanism clears the stop. Some white grease appropriately applied may dampen it, if it's not a sealed unit.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Gary, that's interesting. So far in my life, Subaru, Audi, Mazda, none have clicked but this Polo does. I'll have to see if some grease can be applied.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

J

Users Country Flag
    yes i get that too in my jazz

Weird, so I’ve just been lucky to have only driven cars where it doesn’t happen. On the Polo it’s really loud and annoying!

thanks cats.

J

Users Country Flag
    Ok so I mentioned before that I hear that clicking sound in the Jazz but I'm assuming it's not as loud as you describe it. Anyhow I remembered this thread and while driving my polo, I could not hear any clicking as it returns to OT normal position. I have a 2015 model.

Thanks VDubbs,

My steering column clicks like mad while the indicator is engaged. The service front of house staff dismissed my concerns saying that it was normal. I still reckon it sounds broken. Still, not enough to upgrade to a 2015 though. (mine is MY13)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Thanks VDubbs,

My steering column clicks like mad while the indicator is engaged. The service front of house staff dismissed my concerns saying that it was normal. I still reckon it sounds broken. Still, not enough to upgrade to a 2015 though. (mine is MY13)
    Thats VWA standard line for any issue! Does it only happen when you have lock applied to the steering or does it even happen on the straight ahead?

Can you take a video for us?

Hi all, here's my vids of the noise. Enjoy!

Yep my MY 13.5 Polo does that. And I'm certain my previous Polo did it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast