Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a Sway-Bar installed? Care to voice opinions???

Nobody is making anyone buy them - Personally I think the R&D & extra bracketry we developed is well worth the price No clothesline parts or U Bolts used in ours. I suppose the big difference is ours is 100% made in Australia, not China - downfall still of AUS manufactured goods is the price

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I understand Guy, I work with a company with a large R&D side, that equals to high costs.

I was just gutted that I'll have to save a few more penny's to get the sway bar, but I know it will be worth the wait
    2011 Polo GTi

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So here is the install of my rear sway bar. The thread looks to be pretty normal compared to others I've seen but having tighten these I feel like I can just keep going and going and going....

Does it look right? I'm gunna need more grease I reckon.
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Ok, for a start, which bolts exactly are you continuously tightening? I can see that your install is missing the larger 6mm plates that mine has.

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

I nev got any plates so I'm not sure what to do about that?

I'm talking about the U ring and those nuts...

Looks exactly like the Whiteline sway on my 9n3, probably is very similar.
    You don't need to tighten it more, all you do is bow the bracket. Make sure the bushes are well lubed, mine was drying out quickly. I have found that copper grease works well, does not dry out as much.

As for the sway not changing the feel of driving, I can't see how you would not feel the difference unless the adjustment points are all much the same for force. Changing my sways makes the car feel and act quite differently.

One thing I noticed is that the side links work best when hanging vertically. If they are on an angle, the movement from the suspension can be inhibited by the bushes binding rather than moving freely.
    Last edited by noone; 22-06-2012 at 11:11 AM.

I'll dig out the photo in a bit, the reason it won get any tighter is because the U bolt is deforming and as you keep tightening it, you are deforming it further. If you keep going until its tight, you will either snap the U bolt or worse...

Sorry mate, I got confused with the one on my Mk4 Golf, that had the 6mm plate in it, not this one.

Last edited by gavs; 22-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Ahh ok cool. If that's the case then i'm fine. Awesome. I was thinking that I'm just bending the U Bar. ok well in comparision to the amount of thread popping out the nut side I think I'm fair to say it enough.

On another note noone I'm going to need more grease as well. Only need a tablespoon amount might just pop to a servo and ask. I'm seriously thinking about getting a front sway bar now as I can feel the difference with the rear one heaps.

Can you get strut braces for these cars?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    I have found that copper grease works well, does not dry out as much.
    Would anti-seize work for this?
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Maybe, the best grease to use though is polyurethane specific grease, most others on the market can eat into the urethane.

Regarding strut braces, I'm sure you are referring to the ones that bolt to the towers at the front? The ones that are pretty much pointless on these cars due to the proximity of the towers to the front bulkhead/firewall?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast