Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Polo GTI DSG Only

Users Country Flag

2018 Polo GTI DSG Only

2018 Volkswagen Polo GTI won’t have a manual gearbox in Australia

Sad to see this. I for one was going to buy this in August when it was released (Currently have a 2015 GTI Manual) but not if its DSG only.

Strange decision by VW considering that you can get a manual in all the other 2018 Polo versions.

An utterly boneheaded decision from VW Aus. Especially when they admit 30% of Polo GTI sales were manuals (not sure on timeframe).

If they were going to offer a manual in any Polo surely, surely it is the GTI?
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

Interesting how the worm has turned. The 9N3 Polo GTI was manual only.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Not the 1st time vw have shot themselves in the foot and unfortunately won't be the last either

Personally i would go the dsg as i do like the dsg experience even in a sports car but i know lots like to manual shift as well
    Once upon a time owned/drove a 5 speed and a 6 speed manual car and drove a 13 speed truck i don't like slushboxs or cvt but the dsg hits the spot for me
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    Some indication of the world wide demand pattern. DSG has so many advantages, can be an "auto" for those that can't drive a manual plus can be a paddle shifting "manual" for those that do. In the race cars I work on only the "vintage" cars have stick shifts, all the modern ones have paddles. Look at the data and its easy to see how much advantage the lightning fast paddle shifts result in.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    At least the older 6-speed DSG used should be an improvement in reliability despite the additional maintenance required.

Users Country Flag
    I hate the DSG in my 2013 GTI especially at low speed when the aircon is on.

An automatic will never be able to reliably predict what you want to do at any given moment so for drivers like me, it’s either upshifting or downshifting too soon or too late. Doesn’t matter if you use sport mode. And I I usually use manual mode, but it’s still an auto underneath and it’s clutch management is just not what I personally want.

So glad to be trading up to my wife’s 2015 GTI manual and she’s getting a bigger car: 2018 Golf GTI Original manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

Users Country Flag
    Interestingly the dealership I've been talking to in anticipation of the GTI coming out later this year has told me there has not been an official internal change of view from head office in regards to the manual coming out after the local launch later this year.

Hopefully he's not telling me porkies but I have pre-ordered a manual Polo GTI since this article based on his advice!

Can't wait to leave my DSG behind!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by devoutdubber View Post
    Interestingly the dealership I've been talking to in anticipation of the GTI coming out later this year has told me there has not been an official internal change of view from head office in regards to the manual coming out after the local launch later this year.

Hopefully he's not telling me porkies but I have pre-ordered a manual Polo GTI since this article based on his advice!

Can't wait to leave my DSG behind!
    I can't see why people can't order one providing there will be none to test drive.

Fingers crossed

Users Country Flag

Well I certainly hope so, will definitely buy a manual GTI if it comes to Australia.

Had a bit of a rant here: 2018 Polo

Really dislike a DSG, regardless of how advanced technologically or fast it is around a race track, its boring and not for me.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 19-03-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast