Thread: 2016 81TSI noise

2016 81TSI noise

So I have a new 81tsi Polo.

When Im sitting idling in traffic (when engine hasn't turned itself off) the idle ambient noise is weird. It almost sounds like a diesel if you know what I mean. I only have 5000km on it though so wonder if its just because the engine is new. I still get the new car smell when I turn if off in garage and it still creaks as its cooling down like all new cars I have had.
    What would be causing this?

Users Country Flag
    Direct inject petrol engines have similar technology to common rail diesels in that they use a very high pressure fuel rail to deliver fuel to the cylinders via the injectors. This CAN make them sound SOMEWHAT similar to a diesel...not saying this is definitely what you are hearing but it's a possibility.
    You'd really need to post a video of it, or compare with another similar car yourself.
    Last edited by kamold; 20-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Interesting.
    In comparison to the identical 81tsi I traded in 2 weeks ago it sounds nothing like it. That did have 50k on the clock though... I'll try post a video.

Users Country Flag
    Mine is dead quiet. Have you opened the hood to investigate?

Users Country Flag
    My Aug 2015 build 81TSI manual does the same - almost diesel like and only around 700-800rev idle - neither our 2013 90TSI & now 92TSI Golfs do it - otherwise the Polo engine is the sweeter. It has now done a flawless 84,000km in its first 2 years so I have assumed there’s nothing wrong with it - just that annoying niggle that the idle refinement is not as good as the rest of the car. No-one else has ever commented on it. The sound is more noticeable from in the car than outside. The best built most perfect car I’ve ever owned.

Users Country Flag
    i have a 1.8 polo and it sounds like this. i asked vw since its has warranty and they compared it with similar model and its the same. hahaha. i have heard from friends who had experience with new model vw that its how its suppose to be (sounds like a diesel). its normal. still next warranty check ask them.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    My Aug 2015 build 81TSI manual does the same - almost diesel like and only around 700-800rev idle - neither our 2013 90TSI & now 92TSI Golfs do it - otherwise the Polo engine is the sweeter. It has now done a flawless 84,000km in its first 2 years so I have assumed there’s nothing wrong with it - just that annoying niggle that the idle refinement is not as good as the rest of the car. No-one else has ever commented on it. The sound is more noticeable from in the car than outside. The best built most perfect car I’ve ever owned.
    So relieved that the slightly unrefined idle and diesel-like sound of my purchased 2015 81tsi aren't in my head. It is a little disconcerting at first. I mentioned it to my mechanic today when I dropped it off to have the battery replaced and connection on the headlamp checked. Hope everything else on the electrics check out and that this isn't the reason for the flat battery.

Users Country Flag

I think mine has become slightly quieter with age - now at 140,000km.
    Maybe it’s just me getting older & deafer.
    My Polo continues its trouble free perfect run with no replacements other than the original tyres at 135,000km. No oil useage either. Best car I’ve ever owned.