Support VWWC

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2015/16 Polo GTI Real World Fuel Consumption

Could you explain what running the car in has to do with it becoming more efficient on fuel? How should it be run in?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbeninati View Post
    Hey there, i have had my MY16 polo Gti now for 6 weeks (bought it with 7k). One of the things that attravted me was claimed fuel consumption and it has been no where near the figures. 80% of driving is 80kmph or more without over reving, no AC on usine cruise control, stop start on and the most i get out of a tank is 620km (was hoping for high 700) and averages just on or over 7L/100

In saying that we also have a 92tsi golf which will consistantly average mid 4L/100 and pull around 950km out of a tank which is in line with figures as per specs.

Could there be an issue with engine/fuel managemen? Keeping in mind i dont know how the car was run in.

I use 98ron fuel and dont know what else i can do to get better fuel consumption out of her.
    You've cleverly bought a hot hatch. Consider it a 141TSI in comparison to your 92TSI. With an extra 49kW, it drinks more to be able to deliver such performance, all the time. Turbo on boost, 1.8L, 320nm torque etc.

This was me yesterday, 25kms to empty on a 650km tank, only using Mobil 98 via Costco/7-11;

Claimed figures are "6.1L/100km" thus from a 45L tank, bring your expectations down to 730kms maximum (dry tank-call a tow truck sorta thing). I've seen 650-670kms most tanks, driver only, tyres at 38psi, manual.

Again, it's a GTI, not a TDI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Users Country Flag
    Hey there, i have had my MY16 polo Gti now for 6 weeks (bought it with 7k). One of the things that attravted me was claimed fuel consumption and it has been no where near the figures. 80% of driving is 80kmph or more without over reving, no AC on usine cruise control, stop start on and the most i get out of a tank is 620km (was hoping for high 700) and averages just on or over 7L/100

In saying that we also have a 92tsi golf which will consistantly average mid 4L/100 and pull around 950km out of a tank which is in line with figures as per specs.

Could there be an issue with engine/fuel managemen? Keeping in mind i dont know how the car was run in.

I use 98ron fuel and dont know what else i can do to get better fuel consumption out of her.
    My photo of the 5.6L/100km (which i was amazed with for how sporty the car is its pretty amazing) is the lowest i've ever gotten, usually it's around 5.8. To get that i have had to totally change my style of driving, which is kinda fun playing the get the lowest number i can game. That said, if i go for a spirited hill climb or through a national park or something my average will never get below 6.4ish for that tank. Also i bought my car with 16,000km on it, i have seen people say their fuel ecomony slowly improved more and more untill they hit around 15,000km on the ODO, so maybe just be patient.

Some tips are:
    1. Never go above 110, every km over 100 starts to greatly increase wind resistance, there is a noticable difference between 110 and 120kph
    2. Short shift at 2k rpm
    3. If there is a down hill coming up use it to accelerate more than on a flat or incline
    4. Higher tyre pressures(i run ~36psi), but not too high you don't want to have a ****ty contact patch
    5. Don't idle the car for more than 30 seconds on cold start up. I've noticed it takes a lot longer to warm up idling and will stay a lot richer for longer and waste more fuel. Once the tacho has dropped to under 1krpm start driving

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchh View Post
    My photo of the 5.6L/100km (which i was amazed with for how sporty the car is its pretty amazing) is the lowest i've ever gotten, usually it's around 5.8. To get that i have had to totally change my style of driving, which is kinda fun playing the get the lowest number i can game. That said, if i go for a spirited hill climb or through a national park or something my average will never get below 6.4ish for that tank. Also i bought my car with 16,000km on it, i have seen people say their fuel ecomony slowly improved more and more untill they hit around 15,000km on the ODO, so maybe just be patient.

Some tips are:
    1. Never go above 110, every km over 100 starts to greatly increase wind resistance, there is a noticable difference between 110 and 120kph
    2. Short shift at 2k rpm
    3. If there is a down hill coming up use it to accelerate more than on a flat or incline
    4. Higher tyre pressures(i run ~36psi), but not too high you don't want to have a ****ty contact patch
    5. Don't idle the car for more than 30 seconds on cold start up. I've noticed it takes a lot longer to warm up idling and will stay a lot richer for longer and waste more fuel. Once the tacho has dropped to under 1krpm start driving
    Thanks heaps for that. Appreciate it immensely.

Ill see how it goes when there is a few more k's on the clock. Is it worth while changing the air filter to a k & n?

Users Country Flag

Ill see how it goes when there is a few more k's on the clock. Is it worth while changing the air filter to a k & n?
    nope. better to change the paper filter every 30,000km
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    To try and save 1L/100 kms is bloody painful - just easier to drive the car as god intended

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryJr View Post
    To try and save 1L/100 kms is bloody painful - just easier to drive the car as god intended
    Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MK6 MY10 Golf GTI, 5dr Manual, Carbon Steel, Detroits, Tint
    T6 MY06 Peugeot 307 HDi Touring, Manual, Iron Grey, Tint

Users Country Flag
    My 2015 polo gti which has about 3500ks averages about 8 to 10 litres per 100ks. Mostly shopping runs

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Does the Polo really take 45L? The best I've ever been able to squeeze into mine is 40L and that's with the remaining range down to 25km and the fuel light in the lower part of the red after coming on with 80km range as it reaches the red. The handbook says " 45L including approx. 7L reserve".
    Our Golf with it's 50L including approx. 5L reserve tank easily takes 50L and has had 53L in it.
    Nov '15 Polo 81TSI manual white

Users Country Flag

The last time I filled up with 20k to empty the car took just under 43litres to fill..

MY15 Polo GTI - Red - DA Pack
    Harry
    MY15 RED Polo GTI 6C - with DA Pack

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast