Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.2 lt engine downgrade

1.2 lt engine downgrade

hey guys i currently have a 08 polo gti and the kms are getting high. i had a service yesterday and mechanic said its best i sell my car now. Im currently looking at any cheap 4 cylinder car near new and have test drove the corolla and mazda 2 but i hate them hahaha.

I can only really see myself driving a vw i just love how they feel, whats everyones thoughts on the new model with the 1.2 turbo engine? i currently drive 80km a day on highways will this be able to keep up?

I'm interested as to how many kilometres your car has, ie for your mechanic to consider to be high and what he feels is about to fail that would warrant selling it asap.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

All I can say is HP sells cars, Torque wins races. 77kw and 175nm isn't a lot on the face of it, but remember that the 6R weighs approximately 1050kg (manual). They have quite a decent power to weight ratio. These have absolutely no trouble cruising on the hwy with a full car, just don't expect lightning fast overtakes on the wrong side of the road haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    I'm interested as to how many kilometres your car has, ie for your mechanic to consider to be high and what he feels is about to fail that would warrant selling it asap.
    +1.

Most mechanics would tell you to maintain an old car as it's more profitable for them. Unless he is so busy with easy log book services.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    I LOVE my 1.2TSI, such a meaty mid-section. Mind you, it has zero go above or below the mid-range.... so keep it there.

Users Country Flag
    The 1.2TSI is an amazing engine!
    Check out the Fabia, too.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

its done 135ks and is having temperature gauge issues etc, chassy bolt problems etc.

Seems to me you need a new mechanic rather than car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by g12528 View Post
    its done 135ks and is having temperature gauge issues etc, chassy bolt problems etc.
    If only highway kms, your car shouldn't be worn out and if the repairs aren't to expensive I'd still keep it. Especially if it's manual.
    Unless your reason is the safety of the new car.

Users Country Flag

I had one of the new Polo 1.2l versions for 2 years before trading for the GTI. Had no issues at all sitting on the highway and having power for overtaking. Quite a few times per year we'd drive Brisbane to bundaberg without an issue and it travelled well. It's no GTI but still a good car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast