Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whether to buy a 9n3 GTI?

Users Country Flag

Whether to buy a 9n3 GTI?

This might be a very biased place to pose such a question but I'm currently in the market for a car around $8-9K that's fun to drive and has a lot of aftermarket upgrades that arent going to break the bank. I keep coming back to this car, can anyone think of any other cars in that price range that would compare or should I just take the plunge?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Aztech View Post
    This might be a very biased place to pose such a question but I'm currently in the market for a car around $8-9K that's fun to drive and has a lot of aftermarket upgrades that arent going to break the bank. I keep coming back to this car, can anyone think of any other cars in that price range that would compare or should I just take the plunge?
    Just make sure you have some money left over for suspension and a tune.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Just make sure you have some money left over for suspension and a tune.

Gavin
    I'd definitely be coming to you for a tune, any suggestions on good coilovers or springs?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Aztech View Post
    I'd definitely be coming to you for a tune, any suggestions on good coilovers or springs?
    Glad to hear that, we'll have some logistics to work around if that's after the end of March. I am a solutions guy though, we'll work it out.

I have MCA coilovers on my polo, there's been mixed results with them, so maybe it's best to look to Europe.

The likes of Demon Tweeks, Awesomegti, PSItuning, Orange tuning and others can all do you kits mailorder.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    I looked also at the mitsubishi colt ralliart, Renault clio RS W172 and 1st gen Swift Sport. I decided the swift was too under powered, the Renaults too risky (legendary cars but all my fears confirmed by a mates experience with one), and the Mitsubishi too difficult to tune (although I think they are a far better chassis). In the end it was much easier to find unmolested Polo Gti's - the ralliarts were all pretty much brutalised.

Thanks gavin I can see I'll be wasting hours on those sites

That's what I'm finding too sambb there some mint condition gti's for under 10K, hard to beat really considering the potential these things have.

Users Country Flag
    oh and a ford fiesta XR4 (old shape fiesta with the 2 lite), they are nice and small, wide track and a great chassis/steering. At 10 years old though I don't think they have the build quality that our deutsch car has, but if you can find a tidy low kay one they are good. A tuned Polo will smash it though. Another alternative might be the skoda fabia vrs with the 7 speed dsg. They have a tonne of potential too, are the same as our chassis (once you remove the 30kg of bolt on weights across the back bumper) and have laways gone under the radar. wouldn't surpeise me if you could find one nearly in your price range.

I'm planning to sell my silver polo shortly, I've had it since January 2009. The mods are in my signature I think, will tick over 91,000kms shortly and anyone would be challenged to find a better maintained and presented car. Plus lightly modded. Happy to elaborate.

But yeah, value for money the polo is an exceptionally strong contender. The XR4 has a great little chassis, but you're stuck when it comes to making it go faster. Clio is great if driving hard, otherwise is a bit of a dogs breakfast. The Ralliart Colt is a very solid competitor, lots of aftermarket gear available, can go exceptionally hard. The only detractor to the colt (leaving looks aside), is the build quility and feel of the interior, it's low rent. The early models came with recaro seats, which are awesome when driving hard, but otherwise hard and tight.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    I'm planning to sell my silver polo shortly, I've had it since January 2009. The mods are in my signature I think, will tick over 91,000kms shortly and anyone would be challenged to find a better maintained and presented car. Plus lightly modded. Happy to elaborate.

But yeah, value for money the polo is an exceptionally strong contender. The XR4 has a great little chassis, but you're stuck when it comes to making it go faster. Clio is great if driving hard, otherwise is a bit of a dogs breakfast. The Ralliart Colt is a very solid competitor, lots of aftermarket gear available, can go exceptionally hard. The only detractor to the colt (leaving looks aside), is the build quility and feel of the interior, it's low rent. The early models came with recaro seats, which are awesome when driving hard, but otherwise hard and tight.
    I looked at the colt and the fords but they just don't excite me like the polo, I think my decision is made especially after checking out Red Devil mkII, that looks awesome

Now to sell my other car, will definitely see if you're still selling yours when I do as it has most the mods I'd want already.

Sambb I did look at the Fabia RS, I'm not sure I'm keen on the twin charger, more to go wrong from what I've read, also being newer they seem to be a few grand more expensive. That and I have my heart set on a little manual.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    I have MCA coilovers on my polo, there's been mixed results with them, so maybe it's best to look to Europe.
    Whos having dramas with them
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast