Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to start

where to start

hi i am new to the vdub scene just bought myself a 2008 polo gti its completely stock although its got some punch
    need more

was looking into a tune but not to sure on who to go with for best performance

stage 1 or jump straight to stage 2

Users Country Flag
    I got DNA. No problems.

The usual advice is go straight to the tune you want. That said, ease wise Stage 1 was so bloody easy and the software upgrade cost Stage 1 to 2 is pretty cheap and if you get the handset it is DIY.
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Users Country Flag
    I did stage 1 and then stage 2 soon afterwards despite swearing that stage 1 would be enough. It'll cost you less in the long run to do stage 2 initially so that you don't double-do the tune. It doesn't have to break the bank either - you can just do the dump + cat and leave the back section of the exhaust and the intercooler for later. It'll give you a hatch that will be as quick as the best of todays hot hatches whereas stage 1 might still be found a bit wanting.

Users Country Flag
    Stage 2 all the way. Feels much more "complete" than stage 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    I did stage 1 and then stage 2 soon afterwards despite swearing that stage 1 would be enough. It'll cost you less in the long run to do stage 2 initially so that you don't double-do the tune. It doesn't have to break the bank either - you can just do the dump + cat and leave the back section of the exhaust and the intercooler for later. It'll give you a hatch that will be as quick as the best of todays hot hatches whereas stage 1 might still be found a bit wanting.
    9N Polo GTI tuning

Cheers

Gavin

I'm based in Perth WA I have seen you can get trials of stage 1 seen you can get trials very interested where do you see about this is it a straight swap in ecu s ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroinoz View Post
    I'm based in Perth WA I have seen you can get trials of stage 1 seen you can get trials very interested where do you see about this is it a straight swap in ecu s ?
    Yes, the ECU is a straight swap.

I cannot be held responsible if you have to get it tuned after the trail.

PM Crossy85, he is in Perth and has one of my ECUs.

Gavin

Users Country Flag
    Is the down pipe worth getting if you already have a stage 1? how does it affect the fuel consumption / performance?
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    Is the down pipe worth getting if you already have a stage 1? how does it affect the fuel consumption / performance?
    You need tuning to suit the downpipe and in my experience, they use less juice on the highway.

It's all down to your right foot though.

Users Country Flag

you can run a dump pipe on stage 1/phase 1. I did it but it is tricky to get it to work and its always just compensating for a hardware/software mismatch. For instance I put on the dump + cat but from the get go was making compromises eg I had to run the post cat oxygen sensor with a standoff fitting to prevent the CEL you'd get when you still have stage 1 installed. The flow through the cat is so much greater that the second sensor see's it as a defective cat. So thats one example of a hardware bodge to get around a software incompatibility. Also I went for a 200 cell to help on that front when really I should have just been going stage/phase 2 and a 100 cell since the second sensors ability to raise a fault is deleted in stage 2. The other issue is that stage/phase 1 can't control boost when a dump is fitted. Mine maxed out my boost gauge in an instant even though we knew to expect it and were ready to lift off and it blew off the intercooler pipe work. You have to run all sorts of N75 pneumatic bypasses to put a lid on the boost. I certainly perfected how to do that but only after so much trial and error. At any rate driveability eg getting power down coming onto boost etc is so much better when properly controlled with phase/stage 2 and you won't run the risk of lean spots.
    Given all the effort I went to initially running phase1 and then trying to run phase/stage 1 software with phase/stage 2 hardware until I could raise funds for proper stage/phase 2 - I'd say just make the jump from stock straight to 2 and when you do the dump get a 3inch custom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast