Support VWWC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to purchase a down pipe?

Users Country Flag

Somehow managed to delete earlier message... Second 9N3 GTI for me, going to do the same thing I did last time and get the catless Milltek SSXSE141 from milltekexhaust-roadrunnermotorsport.co.uk , should be able to land it in NZ for less than $600, customs permitting... I don't have the right contacts to be able to get a quality 3" custom made locally for that sort of figure. Very happy with the Milltek lastime last time coupled with CC phase 2.

Would be nice if we didn't need a cat in Australia.

Sam, would you recommend 3 inch for the whole system or just the dump? I'm planning on going stage 2 tune after a few more mods. I want performance and more noise but not anything that will give me a headache on the freeway.

3 inch dp, sports cat into the stock cat back? Maybe remove the rear muffler?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I think 3in for the dump. You'd probably buy a 2.5in cat and then weld the 3in to the front of it (the cat cut at the correct diameter) and most guys run 2.5in off the back. Not from my own experience but guys that run 3in back section too find that the noise levels are pretty full on and so a lot of guys run a 2.5in back section. I still run a modded K03s so have a 3in dump + cat into a de mufflered stock rear end ie straight piped after the cat really so that it flows as well as it can. The K03s turbo has no top end anyway so I think I can get away with that without loosing too much but if I go to a hybrid i'll whack a 2.5in back section on for sure.
    I think there are pics on my build thread somewhere near the start that show the aluminium straight pipe and flanging that was done to delete the muffler. Don't get me wrong though, it might be only 2.25in or less in some spots but its still bloody loud that way when you get up it. A well muffled 2.5in would probably be quieter but I figured also more expensive and also heavier.
    Last edited by sambb; 23-05-2018 at 09:57 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve got a 3” dump into 3” 100 cell cat, standard rear section except for straight through muffler. Too loud for me, hard to say whether it is restrictive though as I’ve never tried a 3” rear.

100 cell cat is crap though. Car stinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Yeah the muffler-less standard back section is loud. I'm in the middle of getting my car tunes and asked the tuner if I'm loosing anything against other stage 2+ cars by not having a 2.5 or 3in back section and he said its hard to say. He said the dump and cat is the most restrictive part and he seemed to intimate that its diminishing gains after that. Having said that the standard muffler is a shocker which is why I binned it. I would like to hear from anyone who went from a stock back section to a 2.5in back section who is able to separate the sound/placebo from the reality and tell us whether there is a tangible gain with a K03s. Tune isn't finished yet and its flowing enough on a stock maf for (190g/s) 240hp crank like that, so it cant be too far off.

Another quote today for a 3 inch DP with 100 cell cat in SS, $1100. I'm going to go with it, hopefully get it done next week.

Users Country Flag
    If it helps someone looking for a 2.5" downpipe with 200 cell, we have an SSXSE110 Polo GTI 1.8T downpipe in stock.

Milltek Sport Catted Downpipe - VW Polo GTi 1.8T, suits Milltek Sport cat-back system [SSXSE110] - Harding Performance
    Harding Performance
    1300 730 949 www.hp.net.au
    Racingline Performance, Milltek Sport & HP

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TrackRoyalty View Post
    Good price but that one comes with a dummy cat. A couple of hundred extra for the one with a real cat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123