Page 3 of 736 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Polo today?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMack View Post
    Hey Maris ... don't suppose I can convince you to take a quick trip to Bris while I'm away and give my lil' Pogo the thorough treatment you're giving yours, can I?

Dave
    I'm exhausted after doing mine. NickZ even clayed, polished & waxed in less time than it took me to rotate & clean.

I'm getting too old for this.

Maris

I don't think i've ever seen wheel arches that clean...

i don't even think cars coming off the dock is that clean too lol

i can honestly eat off that.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you for the kind words.

Maris

Pardon my ignorances, but I only wash my car. Can someone please explain what all the other steps involve? In particular...claying, polishing, waxing, sealing, plastics treating, leather treating? Also, anyone recommend a product I can use to protect/treat/condition leather in the GTI? I bought a bottle of the Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner, but I haven't put it on yet, anyone tried it? Thanks in advance.

'07 CW Polo GTI
    'Roof::Leather::Tint
    GIAC::Whiteline RSB + FSB::Forge SB:ogbone
    Glossy B::Cubby::Honeycomb::Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Pardon my ignorances, but I only wash my car. Can someone please explain what all the other steps involve? In particular...claying, polishing, waxing, sealing, plastics treating, leather treating? Also, anyone recommend a product I can use to protect/treat/condition leather in the GTI? I bought a bottle of the Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner, but I haven't put it on yet, anyone tried it? Thanks in advance.
    Gday,

There are two main reasons for doing all the steps - the results you get, as well as the protection you give the paint. It is really important to polish and wax your car on a regular basis especially if the car is exposed to the elements a lot and/or you want to keep the car for a long time. Every 3 months is good in a perfect world but i tend to do mine every 6.

I used the meguiars stuff - there is other brands that others find better but I already had some of their products so it was the choice for me and I was happy with the results. The main steps are:

1. Washing.
    2. Prep work. This is where you clay the car. It makes the paint nice and smooth which is ideal for doing before you apply the polish, but is not ideal for surface scratches in my opinion. If your car has a lot of surface scratches, perhaps another product that is designed to remove the scratches would be suitable. I used the meguiars clay kit which I thought was pretty good.
    3. Polish. Buy a bottle of polish and follow the instructions on the bottle. Usually its apply and wipe off straight away on small sections of the car. I used Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish.
    4. Wax. Also just follow the instructions, but usually its apply on the whole car, leave it for a bit to set in, and then buff off. I used Meguiars Nxt Gen Wax.

I would also make sure you have:

1. Microfibre washing cloth for washing the car.
    2. Microfibre chamois for drying the car.
    3. Microfibre polish towels for removing the polish and wax after application.
    4. Foam Applicators if they do not come with the products you buy already.

Using the microfibre stuff whilst a bit more pricey will make a big difference to your results IMO.

And if all this daunts you, just think of the end result and how much your car will love you for it .
    NickZ
    Former ride: MY07 Black Polo GTI
    Current: MY09 Blue Passat R36 Wagon

Go to godfreys and get heaps and heaps of microfibres.

5 for 10 dollars

Attached a trailer with dirt bikes on it to my GTI and am going bush.

that makes jebus cry.

I was wheel spinning in 3rd yesterday morning. I like...

Waxed and polished

Gave mine its semi-annual TLC of polish & wax....a couple of pics

Page 3 of 736 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast