Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?

VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?

Hey,

I managed to score some second hand VW roof racks for my new 2008 polo. They came from a 2002 polo and I took the risk as it was such a bargain. They appear to connect to the car but the doors won't close.

My question is, am I connecting them wrong or is there a significant change between the years in the width of the door well?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have found the serial number and it is 6Q5 071 126 A. Does anyone know if that should be suitable for my car ?
    2008 4 door.

Can't seem to find anything online!

A few ideas that may help.

1. The roof racks have a front and a rear cross bar and also only work in one direction.
    If they still have the stickers on the underside make sure they are in the correct orientation

2. Have you removed the little plastic screw in the drivers door sill, which the locating pin from the roofrack sits in?

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I did remove the plugs and also followed the directions on the sticker and for the one above like yours I place that at the back left etc.

I have taken some photos to explain my situation, as you can see that once the pin is in the hole there is a decent gap between the door frame and the fitting. Guessing thats not normal as the door wont close.

Any thoughts?

Is it possible the fitting section is different to the one that should be with that bars?
    Car model is 9n I have found out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?-img_4970-jpg   VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?-img_4968-jpg  

VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?-img_4969-jpg  

It looks like the rubber foot isn't sitting correctly on the roof channel. Is this the same on the other side?

Maybe try winding the clamp all the way out on both sides then line it up on the roof channel. Then wind them back in evenly on each side so it sits evenly on the roof.

I found not having the clamps even caused a slow drip in heavy rain. So it might be something to do with that

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?-capture-jpg  
    Last edited by rbalc1; 20-11-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalc1 View Post
    +1 unwind feet then try again.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Hey,

Yep I fully unwound it and lined up the top clamp with the roof gutter and then tightened up. It does up and holds but then I could not close the door properly. Its like the distance between the pin and the side of the fitting is too much.

Shown in the pic with a blue line .

Should the fitting be flush with the car?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VW roof racks for a 2008 polo. 2002 ones not fit?-capture-jpg  

I have Rhino racks on my car, if you PM me with a phone number or email address I can take pics at lunch and send em to you.

Mine aren't the factory racks, but they fit the same. Or check out google images to see if you can make sense of it.

Is the cross section bar wider than the mounts? i.e. they aren't the "sport rack" - http://www.shop1auto.com.au/Roofrack...s/VW_Polo.html
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Should be fitting flush.
    Either the racks are on the wrong way around, or they're not designed to fit.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag

Volkswagen Accessories - Roof bar set

Link above suggests they're correct for a 5-door.

The lip on the rubber feet need to be over the ridge in the roofline first, before you tighten down the clamp.

There should be an indentation in the upper door jamb, that indicates where the roofrack should be positioned. So there's a chance you've got them in the wrong spot, as the roof tapers in a bit towards the rear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast