Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towbar and Polo GTi

Users Country Flag

Towbar and Polo GTi

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I was wondering if anyone had a towbar installed, and could answer the following for me; ( I have searched and read some threads, but would like to hear from others that have had them installed)
    Did it require the rear bumper to be cut?
    does the VW version come with a separate bumper? (I would assume not)
    has anyone had the Hayman Reese version installed? and how have you found that? I have considered this model as primarily I will use it for a bike carrier, I am not too stressed about lights
    Thankyou very much!

DCN

I'm interested in possibly getting one for my Pogo as well, but I want something like the genuine VW towbar, where it's completely hidden under the bumper and the towbar neck just locks in place with a locking ring type device. I'm sure its hideously expensive though.
    I'm not sure if that type would suit a bike carrier though to be honest, as I think the ball is part of the neck, so wouldnt unscrew to allow a bike rack to be bolted on.

Has/does anybody tow a small jetski with their Pogo?

I don't know much about towing, but assume towing with a FWD car is not as easy...

I think a small load should be fine.

Does the Polo have the connection port for electricals as standard?

I use to tow a SeaDoo jet ski with a 2007 Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L, it pulled it just fine even with the A/C on, but I think the Polo will pull it better because its not as heavy as the Focus.

Just a thing to watch out for, dont unload/load your jetski on a ramp that has sand on it, with the thin tyres the Polo has, you'll have grip issues getting it up the ramp especially with the low end torque.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloudNebulae View Post
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    I was wondering if anyone had a towbar installed, and could answer the following for me; ( I have searched and read some threads, but would like to hear from others that have had them installed)
    Did it require the rear bumper to be cut?
    does the VW version come with a separate bumper? (I would assume not)
    has anyone had the Hayman Reese version installed? and how have you found that? I have considered this model as primarily I will use it for a bike carrier, I am not too stressed about lights
    Thankyou very much!

DCN
    Gentlemen yes I know this is an old post, but the question needs asking again, for current owners. There must be more Polo owners who have fitted towbars since.

For those who have a tow bar fitted, please post reply and give a detailed response. Where did you get the towbar?, what rating towing capacity?, what make and price?, is there a wiring kit that comes with it? Who installed it or did you do it yourself? How does the Polo handle towing and what have you towed?

Thanks folks.

I've never seen a polo gti with a tow bar, and I look out for that. eager to see what response there is to this thread as its something ive considered on more that a few occasions.

Users Country Flag
    I have never seen a GTI with a tow bar fitted, but I have seen a 9N3 diesel next door to my work that has one, so I will ask where ther got it from if I see them.
    "If can't get behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them..."

Users Country Flag
    Before I bought mine I test drove a GTI up near Castlemaine that was fitted with a factory towbar.
    The fella thought it was a real selling point, I found it to be quite unnecessary.

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag

I got one at home athe moment with a tow bar, to be honest havent paid too mucvh attention to the tow bar really but will check it out and give some feedback, by the way this car is for sale in the sale section
    Ta
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast