Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: simon's learning what to do with the polo thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    what the....when did these babies come onto the market. Adjustable eccentric LCA front bushes: Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes
    goodness, they're a bit snazzy!

Users Country Flag
    and pricey! ouch

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    and pricey! ouch
    yeah, dunno - for what it does it's not over the top - the caster offset rear bush is worse

but I love how you can download a parts list for the car, and it has reference numbers that show you where they go on the diagram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the superpro stuff I was sitting there reading the descriptions and comparing one thing with the others to make sure they were the same purpose, going back and forth and back and forth... a diagram with references - amazing!

my suspension & fabrication guru and I were under it yesterday - having a look at what we can do with an adjustable rear stiffener, caster etc. etc. I need to draw some parts to cut out for the rear bar.

The plasma cutter next door has been delivered, he's cut some really nice bits, but then started having trouble with tips. I'm sure he'll figure it out... but unfortunately he didn't need any help from me...

handy link to Gavin's thread - Gavin's cheapy but getting more expensive GTI

I've got kmac adjustable strut tops on my car. They are camber and castor adjustable. They do the job nicely and didn't require stuffing about reverse engineering other parts. Install, set, drive. Anti-lift kit is also a good buy.

I've got a wavetrac LSD. It feels at it's best on the street. I makes the car feel a bit better on track, a bit more complete package but really hasn't translated to lap times. Unless it's the last thing on your list, for $3k ($1600 for diff, $1400 in labour and parts), it's not value for money. Hillclimbs and autocross is perhaps a different arguement though I'm yet to do one.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    I've got kmac adjustable strut tops on my car. They are camber and castor adjustable. They do the job nicely and didn't require stuffing about reverse engineering other parts. Install, set, drive. Anti-lift kit is also a good buy.
    this one?

Volkswagen Polo '02-'16 Front Camber & Caster adjuster kit (Full Race) 141516-3K - K-MAC Camber kits World’s largest range, Guaranteed Biggest adjustmentK-MAC Camber kits World’s largest range, Guaranteed Biggest adjustment

we were thinking about making one with a fixed caster angle - basically push the top of the strut over as much as possible with a bearing in the top

I've got a wavetrac LSD. It feels at it's best on the street. I makes the car feel a bit better on track, a bit more complete package but really hasn't translated to lap times. Unless it's the last thing on your list, for $3k ($1600 for diff, $1400 in labour and parts), it's not value for money. Hillclimbs and autocross is perhaps a different arguement though I'm yet to do one.
    yeah, a diff is a long way off - I love the quaife in my mini, but spending that sort of money on the Polo isn't going to happen

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by simon k View Post
    we were thinking about making one with a fixed caster angle - basically push the top of the strut over as much as possible with a bearing in the top
    From experience, the problem with a fixed caster angle is it's unusual to find a chassis with equal caster both sides. In fact it is most commonly built in to have more caster on the LHS (for RHD vehicles) to counter the drift to the left caused by the camber of the road (so that the water runs into the gutter). Being able to equalise caster initially is an important feature, but after that it's pretty much set and forget.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    From experience, the problem with a fixed caster angle is it's unusual to find a chassis with equal caster both sides. In fact it is most commonly built in to have more caster on the LHS (for RHD vehicles) to counter the drift to the left caused by the camber of the road (so that the water runs into the gutter). Being able to equalise caster initially is an important feature, but after that it's pretty much set and forget.

Cheers
    Gary
    hmm, good call - we'll rethink that one - maybe clamp it in place and then weld it, or make it adjustable

Re the Kmac's, yup I'm sure that's what's in mine.
    I've not had the tyre wear issues you show in the pic on my polo's before I put the kmac's in. The shoulders have had wear but not like that. Could be some over driving and under inflation going on. Over driving corner entry and loading up the shoulders - I'd quickly destroyed/over heated my kumho v70's doing that so have since been practicing to drive a bit more square... Brake, rotate, accelerate.

Could be some over driving
    plenty of that.... and rubbish tyres....

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast