Thread: Secondary Air Pump

Secondary Air Pump

Just got told after a service that the secondary air pump has packed up and to replace it would cost $1033 parts and labour. And the car's just out of warranty, VW does time it well.

So did a little googling and found out it's a common issue with 1.8Ts and the option is to get a new pump and putting it in yourself, or since it only deals with emission, simply take out the whole lot, plug the hole and wire in a resistor to fool the ECU.

I'm inclined to go for the (much) cheaper option, what sort of resistor would I need and are there any possible issues (other than with the law) in taking it out altogether?

Thanks

Try searching on vwvortex, heaps of threads there. I took my pump out, my car only had 40,000km, how many K's is on your car.
    You can buy my secondhand pump, or pull it out and plug it

Thanks vwthunder - the car's done 75kkm, but have had the emissions light come on every now and then in the last 3 years. I'm probbaly going to remove it and plug it but might buy a used one and put it in when it time comes to sell the car depending on price.

Users Country Flag
    Proably buy a blanking plate and remove mine soon, just makes it so messy in the engine bay.
    MY2008 VW Polo GTi / GIAC Tune / Forge FMIC / Forge 007 DV / N75 Race / BMC OTA / KW V1 Coilovers / Whiteline Front&Rear Swaybars + Toe-In Shim / Weichers Front&Rear Strut Braces / Full Non-Res Milltek Exhaust / 17" Bora Sport

So if you remove the pump, what do you do with the hoses it's connected to? Plug them up as well and zip tie them somewhere or take them all out and plug up whatever holes they'll leave?

I'm actually thinking about just leaving the dead pump in (assuming it's actually dead), disconnect the cable just wire in the resistor to the terminals, as I'm not planning any more mods (maybe an oil pressure gauge, in which case I might get rid of it).

Its not difficult to remove, I did have a code come up as well after a while from the missed flow. The blanking plate and a plug for th.e airbox will fix the connections

Sounds good. What would you use to plug the hole in the airbox? Cheers