Support VWWC

Page 52 of 190 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's build thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Well mixed results on the turbo swap. Prick of a job if I'm to be honest but one of those things where you'd do it in half the time if you have to do it again ........... which I will soon. Everything was going great until I went to tighten the water inlet banjo tower fitting. New bolt, new washers, I'd cleaned out the thread at work with some brake cleaner and running a bolt through it. All looked good and no reason to suspect there'd be a problem. When I tighten critical bolts I've learnt from work to always step up bit by bit with the torque wrench just in case its been dropped or whatever so that you don't accidentally overtighten. The spec on the bolt is 35Nm and I was only 25Nm when I just felt the first smidge of the thread letting go. Before anyone says I threaded it (and if you do I will punch you through your screen) I didn't - there is no way you could cross thread that sucker with the tall banjo fitting and it was free as anything before it started to tighten. I remember when I pulled it out of my old engine that the washers used either side of the banjo were really thick. I think what might have happened is that when I first got the turbo done (paid for due to babies etc) these washers meant that too few threads were engaged and it was probably overtightened. So because there was still plenty of torque on there and new washers and the water line is braced to the block I went ahead and left it in there. Its not leaking but f&^*k me - all that effort and I cant feel excited about it because I'll just have no trust that its going to hold together. If it hasn't started to leak before Bathurst then I'll still take it but if it does I'll double drive my mates Clio. So I'm driving around in my ported K03s on a ported manifold with turbosmart wastegate actuator and the de-silencer compressor inlet. All that put together properly kicks the standard K03s by a long shot and has a real compressor surge flutter without the silencer on lift off and is generally a bit louder on the induction side of things. But now I immediately have to be thinking about the next step so that I'm ready to go when the first coolant drips appear.
    So these are my options:

1. get the CHRA of the standard K03s I pulled out refurbed so that its ready to swap in when the time comes
    2. buy a genuine K04-001 that will be plug and play and work with a straight flash or better yet a flash/pump/MAF/injectors. A K04-001 with no other hardware and a flash wouldn't beat what I have in there now but with injectors etc it still would I think.
    3. go for a K03s/K04 hybrid with the above hardware but would then definitely have to sort a custom tune.
    3. I've been told a GT2554 is mine to have if I choose so I could organise manifold, lines, exhaust adapter, TIP and induction pipes for that.

That's all ascending order of difficulty and $ but if anyone has applicable parts available that may help a decision to be made I'm keen to hear about it.
    Last edited by sambb; 14-02-2018 at 03:58 PM.

could anyone who has a genuine borg-warner K04-001 sitting around maybe give me the part numbers. GCG turbos cant quote on one without the manufacturer and borg warner placard part numbers (they have no idea what a K04 is)?

I bought my K04 from ECS, search under mk4 Golf.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Choose two.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    I remember when I pulled it out of my old engine that the washers used either side of the banjo were really thick. I think what might have happened is that when I first got the turbo done (paid for due to babies etc) these washers meant that too few threads were engaged and it was probably overtightened. So because there was still plenty of torque on there and new washers and the water line is braced to the block I went ahead and left it in there. Its not leaking but f&^*k me - all that effort and I cant feel excited about it because I'll just have no trust that its going to hold together. If it hasn't started to leak before Bathurst then I'll still take it but if it does I'll double drive my mates Clio.
    I betcha the mob that did the work had normal washers in it, did it up too tight, damaged the thread and then decided the bolt was OK and put the thick washers in...

I'd be taking it apart again and running a tap into that thread with a new bolt, if you don't trust it now, you never will. Even if it doesn't leak

Users Country Flag
    Something rare for me, I can't remember ever suggesting to anyone that their choice of turbo is a bit small. I'm normally the guy counselling on not going too big in the turbo. A pair of 2554's on a 2.6 litre Nissan (ie; 1.3 litres each) is a lag free, instant throttle combo, what I'd consider a good street car set up. For a combo road and track 2.6 litre a pair of 2560's leans a bit more towards track work but is still virtually lag free. One of those on a 1.8 litre would give around 300 bhp at ~1 bar of boost and have plenty enough throttle response. They are rated to 140,000 shaft rpm and at 300/1 bar shouldn't see more than 115,000 rpm, so plenty of durability scope. At 0.75 bar they still make 250'ish bhp at under 100,000 rpm, right in the middle of high 70%'s efficiency island. So not a lot of intercooler required.

Spending your money, right up with the best

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Simon K I think the problem now is that there's only 1 or 2 good threads at the bottom and a tap wont fix the ones above them. They werent threaded, they were pulled. I just paid 300 odd bucks to get that core re bearing'd and rebalaced too. An utter waste of $ and effort. I have another CHRA spare that I could put in its place , its more that now I'm not keen on going to all that effort all over again to put a 110,000km core in thats been oversped/tuned its whole life. Just kicking a can at the moment really but ill get over it. I could spend another 3-400 bucks on refurbing that too but at this stage that'll feel like dead money. Thats why if I'm going to double do it, I want something that I'll be happy with for the longterm but not too big to kill my cast conrod >100k km engine which is also why I'd not looked at a GT2860 but yeah I do suppose that from an efficiency/temperature point of view there's an advantage.
    Its hard to go past a K0# turbo for bolt in convenience - its just which one? F21, K04, K03/K04. Short on dollars (al this years tyre money will have to go into this) which is why a K04 with the tune to go with it (+FPR) is a cheap easy way in and then later I can add the fuel pump, injectors 3in MAF, pre turbo WI injection and have scope for improvement. Anyone got a straight borg-warner K04 tune that doesn't cost APR money?

Users Country Flag
    Simon K I think the problem now is that there's only 1 or 2 good threads at the bottom and a tap wont fix the ones above them. They werent threaded, they were pulled. I just paid 300 odd bucks to get that core re bearing'd and rebalaced too. An utter waste of $ and effort.
    I see.... I guess you're not asking for solutions, but helicoil? tap it to the next thread size up?

though I don't even know where the 'water inlet tower banjo' bolt is, or what the metal is...

ha ha sorry didn't mean to sound gruff. No you're right though helicoil is an option. There's no room for a wider banjo so the question would be how much of the area under the washer would be taken away by the helicoil being under it and would that compromise the seal, and how to drill it without crap getting into the bearing journals.
    What I'm actually thinking i'll do now is go for a turbo upgrade K04 'ish. Don't know where I'll find the money to do it first up but then i'll put the good (but 100,000km) core into the modified compressor and exhaust housings with a stock wastegate actuator and sell it. If there was a bit of interest I could get the un molested core refurbed so that it'd be a near new hotted up K03s that'll run on a stage 2/phase 2 tune but it'd be instantly more costly. That might help me recoup funds after the initial outlay.

anyone interested in a K03s:

compressor housing with de-silencer a la K04
    exhaust housing ported out at the entry to the turbine and wastegate inc the wastegate tunnel
    ceramic coated in and out exhaust housing.
    option to have the core refurbed with fresh bearings and rebalanced
    turbo to exhaust mani mounting surface linished flat
    pics are a few pages back

On a stock 2.5in MAF it flows 190g/s which equates to about 240hp from what I've been told. Spools harder than a stock K03s but holds higher boost for longer so makes the 6000rpm part of the range usable rather than a waste of time. I've only ever used it with a ported stock manifold but it'd still be a good step up from a standard K03s even on a standard exhaust mani. Mani has to come off during the turbo swap though so while its out of the car its a good time to get that done too!!
    Last edited by sambb; 15-02-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Sam's build thread-img_5635-jpgSam's build thread-img_5634-jpg
    Not a great looking turbo to exhaust mani gasket. Actually warped into an oval shape which suggests its moving around and split where they all seem to go.
    Sam's build thread-img_5608-jpgSam's build thread-img_5609-jpg
    Shows the throat of a standard K03s vs a ported K03s. The ported one on the right is devoid of the shrouding that runs around the top right edge and obscures the entrance to the wastegate tunnel (the pathway on the right). The standard one on the left is sporting a nasty crack that makes it pretty much a bin job too. You can also see where the gasket had cracked in the really thin spot. All in all I was going to have to do a turbo swap anyway since this one had had it, but luckily its core is in good nick without much freeplay.
    Sam's build thread-img_5605-jpgSam's build thread-img_5610-jpg
    first pic shows the gas guide that throws the gases from opposing sides downwards into the turbo. When I showed the aftermarket manifolds to my rainman fabricator mate he wasn't a fan because none of them had this feature. eg cylinders 1 and cylinder 4's gases would just shoot straight into each other from opposite sides of the collector with nothing to actually project them into the turbo. From what I've read if you want to port a mani the stocker is a good pic. It may not port out to the runner diameters you see in ATP's etc but they are reliable and don't crack as much as some aftermarket ones do and retain the gas guide in the collector. Mine was ported at 23,000km and at 108,000km is fresh as a daisy and crack free. My manifold is on the right though and shows how particularly cyl 3 has been opened up. In a stocker this runner is choked nearly to nothing.
    Last edited by sambb; 15-02-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Page 52 of 190 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast