Page 50 of 190 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's build thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Andrew go to the 3 minute mark for an explanation of zapping the tyres. YouTube.

Yeah maybe that's the plan. Get the durometer on them. If they are still soft and haven't hardened over time maybe a tread scrape could save them assuming that all wont cost too much versus just getting another cheaper set.

Users Country Flag
    Wow, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    I could rattle off a bunch of suggestions like changing spring rates, different tyre pressures, geometry, damper rates etc. Being 5 years old may not be an issue if they were stored properly, not in the heat, away from ultra violet light, excessive moisture etc. Were they still in their original plastic wrappers? If they were in their wrappers maybe they sweated over the years and were covered in release oil, which takes some burning off. Did you give them a run, at least one heat cycle, before you went to the track?

If I had them I would run the durometer across the tread and see what hardness they were actually at, that's really the only objective measure. Would the guys who sold them to you have a durometer perhaps? Or maybe we can catch up somewhere, shoot me a PM and see what we can organise.

Cheers
    Gary
    I'd love to hear your thoughts/advice, I'll send you a pm rather than derailing Sams thread further, thanks! The tyres were not wrapped when I received them (internet purchase from tyresales). As above, I took them for a brief drive locally, then they had a single session at Wakefield where the tyre pressures were way too high when I came in, then the hillclimb this past Sunday.

I'm assuming you're in Sydney, I'm a bit north of Newcastle, don't suppose you know anyone up here who could help with the durometer?
    Last edited by metalhead; 30-01-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    Wow, thanks guys!
    I'd love to hear your thoughts/advice, I'll send you a pm rather than derailing Sams thread further, thanks! The tyres were not wrapped when I received them (internet purchase from tyresales). As above, I took them for a brief drive locally, then they had a single session at Wakefield where the tyre pressures were way too high when I came in, then the hillclimb this past Sunday.

I'm assuming you're in Sydney, I'm a bit north of Newcastle, don't suppose you know anyone up here who could help with the durometer?
    PM responded to.

One of our guys lives at Raymond Terrace, we will be together at R1 of the NSW State Championship 16 to 18 March. If you want to give him a tyre or 2 I can test them over the weekend and then you can pick them up from him afterwards. Let me know.

Sorry, I'm not aware of any in that area, closest would be Greg (suspensionconcepts.com.au) he is at North Wyong if that's a help. Give him a call and see if he has a durometer, use my name if you like, but he might charge you more.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Thanks Gary! PM replied. Raymond Terrace is convenient (I'm in Clarence Town). I had a bit of a ring around mates last night and I couldn't find someone locally with one, but they're not overly expensive so I said screw it and just ordered one. Always need more tools anyway...

Cheers,

Andrew.
    Last edited by metalhead; 31-01-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Andrew PM me your email. The state hillclimb board just sent through some preliminary entry forms for 'the esses' and 'mountain straight'. Couldn't remember if you were registered for the series yet, so If Ron hasn't emailed you I can forward them on.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    Thanks Gary! PM replied. Raymond Terrace is convenient (I'm in Clarence Town). I had a bit of a ring around mates last night and I couldn't find someone locally with one, but they're not overly expensive so I said screw it and just ordered one. Always need more tools anyway...
    Cheers,
    Andrew.
    I have a couple of the Longacre kits (Duro and Depth) and as you say they're not expensive.

There are a few tricks in using it, the main thing is to be consistent, the absolute number is irrelevant, it's more about consistent hardness across the tread, 3 or 4 times around the circumference. Lots of practise, they don't wear out. Once I have a base line for a new tyre, I can then monitor their life cycle.

Cheers
    Gary

After a bit of tyre advice. As I'd discussed earlier with Gary I'm going to have a crack at running my A050 205/50/15 mediums front and 195/55/15 softs rear at the Bathurst hillclimbs. There'll most likely be track temp and a good burnout will see the fronts in a good enough window to work quickly I think. So if that works well, and in an effort to keep costs down for the year by double dutying them in hillclimb and circuit, I may look at getting a fresh pair of A050 215/50/15 mediums for the fronts. They'll have exactly the same rolling diameter as my 19/55/15 rear softs and should be sweet for the hillclimbs but for my next crack at Wakefield I'd throw on my 205/50/15 medium rears as I don't think the softs would cut it. So my question concerns the fact that If I run Wakefield like that my front rolling diameter will be 597mm vs rear <587mm as they are worn. I'm worried about a wheel speed sensor differential F:R which might make the ESP and/or ABS overactive. Now I can disable the ESP with the fuse easily enough if it intrudes but not the ABS. Does anyone know from a similar scenario on a track if the ABS or ESP will be affected in any weird way by the rolling diameter variation? Like I said if the ESP gets overactive I can kill it but overactive ABS would suck. Just trying to pre-empt any potential track day ruiners.
    Last edited by sambb; 01-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    So my question concerns the fact that If I run Wakefield like that my front rolling diameter will be 597mm vs rear <587mm as they are worn.
    Less than 2% difference, like a gentle bend on the freeway difference between the inside and outside wheel speed.

Cheers
    Gary

Users Country Flag
    Sorry, no idea on the tyre diameter affecting your electronic devices, I don't have any of those! Looks as though Gary is saying it will be ok?

My Longacre durometer arrived this morning (pretty impressive, ordered from Raceline Motorsport Racewear on Wednesday). My "soft semislicks" measure between 80 and 85 on the durometer, my street tyres around 70... So do I need to declare these semis dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    Less than 2% difference, like a gentle bend on the freeway difference between the inside and outside wheel speed.

Cheers
    Gary
    Sweet! 215's it will (most likely) be.

Page 50 of 190 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast