Page 16 of 190 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's build thread

Users Country Flag

Went over and got my entry and scrutineering sorted about 2pm this arvo, here's the first page of practice times:

Sam's build thread-wp_20170805_14_09_03_pro-jpg

Sam's build thread-wp_20170805_14_09_15_pro-jpg

Edit: Got the second page up now too.
    Last edited by metalhead; 05-08-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    wow the GTS and clubsport are high 42's low 43's which is much quicker than last year. Maybe the track was slow after it dried last year cos I don't think those guys have done much more to their cars since then. Check out graham in the 1.6 CRX - that's quick for a street reg car. Looks like it'll be freezing in the morning. Glad all those RWD boys have been putting rubber down for us today!

Sam's build thread-img_4333-jpgSam's build thread-img_4334-jpgSam's build thread-img_4336-jpgSam's build thread-img_4338-jpgSam's build thread-img_4339-jpgSam's build thread-img_4342-jpg

So the second last round of the NSW state hillclimb championship is finished. I managed to finish 3rd/12 or so cars in the road reg >2500cc class and bettered my pre-LSD PB by 1.6 seconds to get a 43.05. What made that all the sweeter is that I finally beat my nemesis in the HSV clubsport and the Megane RS 275 lightweight by 4/10ths and managed to stay ahead of the little <2500cc class CRX too. Also my time was only 2/100ths off my theoretical best (where they add together all your best splits) which shows that I left nothing on the table on that 4th run.
    However I did nearly have a massive off on run 1. The car pushed wide coming over the finish line and as my outside rear went up and over the timing sensor which is buried in the earth, it pitched the car sideways big time. I had to keep my foot buried to drive out of it because if you lift there you are gone, but by the time I got the car straightened up I'd nearly run out of road to pull it up. It was very close to a biggn'. There's a vid of that to come and also of my quickest run which is far less entertaining.
    Things to do - change over to 15 X 7 rims. The 195/55's will go over onto the wall easily and force me to run slightly higher pressures than what would be quickest so the slightly wider rim might help with that. Ultimately I'll move to 205/50's on the front and 195/55's on the back. I also will get on MCA's case to get the coilovers sorted asap. With the softs and LSD I'm now running out of damping big time and had the car hoping sideways as it was single wheeling and getting onto the stops on the front end on the really tight corners.
    And well done Metalhead in the Vette only 4/10ths off the clubsport and megane. Bloody quick and made plenty take note. Good driving man.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks, it was good to catch up with you, well done on the 3rd (of 14 in class) place. If I'd not stuffed up the second half of my last run then I might've been close on your heels, my theoretical was a 43.21 which would have put me in 4th and in front of Steves Megane. It was interesting looking at the total time to the second split, you had the quickest time, followed by the Megane, followed by me (on my last run), and I had the only first split under 4s. Might have to pick up some semis and come have a real go next year!

Are you going to run Mattara?

Hoyhoy.

Well done Sam.
    Hooroo.

Yep everyone in the States are getting quicker and quicker in our class and its mostly due to guys starting to trailer there cars and running on softs. Everyone pushing harder and harder and taking bigger risks. When we are going faster than the improved production cars somethings gotta give and it nearly did on my first run in a big way. I watched the vid of it and it just looks like a twitch but it was close to a biggn. And its definitely more dangerous for us since we can't be caged. Softs will definitely put you in the mix. Seriously get some cos we all want to see your thing roar between the walls at Bathurst in March. The over 2.5L class will be 20 cars all season next year and there'll be 30+ at bathurst for sure. Why don't you come down to Queanbeyan for the last round Sep 10? Guys will have trailers if anything happens and we'll probably meet for a drink in town on the saturdy night. No I wont do Mattara cos I'm going to be haemoraging money on rims and coilovers soon, want to do the last of the years club hillclimbs at Huntley in November and need entry money for the Whiteline tarmac rallysprints in a few months.

Thanks Eddy. Im a happy boy today.

YouTube the vid of run 3. I forgot that my quickest run wasn't filmed because I'd gotten all serious and laid the passenger seat flat.

Decided not to show my turd run - bit embarrassing really.

Users Country Flag
    I watched some YouTube videos last night, that hillclimb at Fairbairn park looks difficult, lots of blind corners over crests, at least from the videos? I'm tempted, but I've been planning to run a day/night tar khanacross at Ringwood on Sep 9, and my wife was going to run too - she hasn't run the Corvette in competition yet, so it will be good to get her out in the car.

During the event the week before, I had quite a big moment in that final curve on my second or third run myself, unfortunately I didn't have the camera rolling, because I would have liked to go back and have a look at it to trace through what happened. It definitely wakes you up!

My videos from this weekend didn't come out very well - I mounted the camera higher to get a better view of my feet, which worked, but it washed out the view through the windscreen. It's an invaluable tool for getting an idea of what you're doing out there as a driver, that's for sure.

I'll watch your video tonight when I get home.

Fairbairn is a nice track. Its good in that its closer to equal for all the cars in our class and brings it down to the driver. It actually flows well. The hairy corner is the right hander on the crest after you gather speed though the big depression. The car goes light just as you are turning in. I put two wheels off on the exit there last year which was a sphincter clencher. I reckon you'd be really quick there.

Users Country Flag

Neat run! Your gearing must be a fair bit shorter than mine in 1st, I basically change into 2nd as I'm entering turn 1, whereas you change early enough to actually do some accelerating in 2nd gear before the corner.

Page 16 of 190 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast