BWA Auto

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sam's build thread

Car will be completely different to drive!

What exhaust manifold is that you have with the gt28?
    Any fitment issues?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    do you mean the manifold in the pics in post#79? If you mean that manifold that's for a Merc SLK 2.3. I'd just included those pics as eye candy cos I'd been talking in that post about the new Borg warner turbos that a mechanic mate of mine has been running instead of the Garretts he'd previously always gone with. Its not a VAG 1.8T 20V manifold - his custom job I believe.

The car does feel entirely different in tight stuff with the diff. I haven't gotten anywhere near really pushing it but I'd describe needing slightly less steering lock on than you'd have had with the single spinner. It feels like you have less tyre slip angle and the sensation that the inside wheel is pulling the inside front to the inside of the corner. I won't do it till I see how it goes at the track but I'm betting i'll be able to take the front bar up to the hard setting and i'll still have way better drive than before. Its seamless too. Nothing abrupt about it. It might be raining on sunday morning and I doubt above 10 degrees for the first runs at Ringwood so that'll be a good test on cold semi's for the diff. can't wait!

Aaaah. I was tired and unable to read the post!

They are a massive improvement in corners. I never tracked mine, but difference through roundabouts was unreal.

There's a Cars and Coffee thing on at a VW workshop on the Sunday too.

But probably unable to make it with Ringwood start times

You're a machine Sam, congrats on getting it built so quickly.

Yeah the wavetrac is a nice treat. Will probably be more impressive in hill climb/motorkhana than track events where 2nd gear is so widely used. I found my diff was more impressive with front sway bar disconnected as it allowed for wheel travel and perhaps better loading of the diff. I'd have thought that'd be the way to go for your preferred events.

I've got my first track day since last November tomorrow. Champing at the bit to get out. I've still got those A050 softs to wrapped up and yet to run, though am thinking of selling them and just getting a performance street tyre.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Oh yeah I forgot you live up that way HaydEn. Do you know where it is? Its north of the heatherbrae round about and then you turn down Italia rd. There's a motorcross track up that rd too. If you head up that rd though you'll hear the cars running. If you make it come and say Hi.

Yeah I'll basically start with my normal setup suspension wise and just take it from there. I'm guessing having the diff now is going to force a few changes though, but we'll see. Like you say I think a softer front should work best especially if its going to be wet in the morning like they say. I wonder if I'm still going to be able to really go for it - after all the hard work i'll probably be so scared of bining it that i'll be slower than normal! Whats the go with the Yoko's? are you worried they'll be too soft. I was told by a Toyo rep down here that the A050's are overall a very soft compound and that an A050 medium was nearly the same as an R888 soft. If you are going to sell them don't let them sit too long. You'll get top dollar while they are still virginal sticky marshmallows.
    Agreed Its the best feeling isn't it, knowing you'll be on track the next day. I love the whole ritual of getting everything squared away, who'll take what and getting it all packed the night before. What I don't like is the early cold starts up the freeway after a sleepless night cos I can't sleep like a little kid.

Last night I swapped my longer gear stick back to standard. Sheez the forge quickshift set to its shortest on a standard gear knob is very clicky isn't it. Not used to it but I found it nearly undriveable. Will either have to lengthen the throw on the quickshift pivot or go back to the longer stick. One thing I haven't even looked at is proper logs. The engine hasn't come in for much attention with everything else happening. I noticed on the gauge the other day that it boosted up to 1.5 bar! My modded turbo never did that probably because the wastegate was getting rid of the excess more efficiently. So last night I checked the wastegate actuator preload and backed it off to 2.5-3mm preload. A few bursts on the way home last night and it was peaking at 1.35-1.4 bar which is probably better, so tonight i'll log it and see if anymore timing can go into it and then I should be good to go. Its going to be weird sitting on the line and not having to fiddle with SMIC fans and water sprays - hopefully the FMIC will keep things cool as a cucumber.

Re the tyres, At the moment I'm not so inclined to run for a lap time, but out to enjoy myself. With such sticky and soft tyres, I couldn't just go hard for 5 laps, would have to be more strategic in my approach. I'm curious as to what the car could do on these tyres tho...

I expect tomorrow will be my last outing on the Kumho V70's.

Re your logs, be sure to check EGT, intake temps, AFR/Lamba too.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

yep will do. I'll basically just check the logs from a health point of view. I'll probably only find the time to add timing if its crying out for it. Can't do too many power runs around here. So many bloody fit people out walking dogs etc even in the industrial estates. Always too many civilians around.
    Yeah those kumhos were pretty shagged. Whats the go then - medium compound R specs from the harder brands or a street semi like AD08R's. A few guys run Nitto NT01's. They are street legal but have massive tread blocks and are cheap for what they are.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789