Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAI issues, partial delete?

Users Country Flag

SAI issues, partial delete?

Hi team, before it's suggested, I HAVE tried the search function.
    When starting the car in the morning it sounds like a large vacuum cleaner going under the bonnet; from research it seems highly probable that it is the SAI system. Other than sounding like a Hoover, is there a chance that it is also causing performance issues?
    By unplugging it, there will be warnings, and flashing lights, possibly a limp mode; unless there are resistors in situ.
    If the ECU is coded to not look for the sensors, could the SAI system remain, physically, in place without causing any further issues; or will it mean that boost could be lost?
    TIA.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amdeman View Post
    Hi team, before it's suggested, I HAVE tried the search function.
    When starting the car in the morning it sounds like a large vacuum cleaner going under the bonnet; from research it seems highly probable that it is the SAI system. Other than sounding like a Hoover, is there a chance that it is also causing performance issues?
    By unplugging it, there will be warnings, and flashing lights, possibly a limp mode; unless there are resistors in situ.
    If the ECU is coded to not look for the sensors, could the SAI system remain, physically, in place without causing any further issues; or will it mean that boost could be lost?
    TIA.
    SAI can't be fixed with resistors as the ECU looks for the flow. It needs fixing in the tune.

No limp mode just the CEL to give you a sun tan.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    SAI can't be fixed with resistors as the ECU looks for the flow. It needs fixing in the tune.

No limp mode just the CEL to give you a sun tan.

Gavin
    Thank you.
    If the SAI is physically left in place, and the tune modified, is there a potential for any issues with power, i.e. bleeds boost?

Users Country Flag
    Thank you.
    If the SAI is physically left in place, and the tune modified, is there a potential for any issues with power, i.e. bleeds boost?
    You could leave it all there but it's extra weight. I'd give you a blanking plate and you can chuck it all in the nearest bin. No dramas with lost boost.

Gavin

You could leave it all there but it's extra weight. I'd give you a blanking plate and you can chuck it all in the nearest bin. No dramas with lost boost.

Gavin
    By leaving it there, other than the bulk / weight there are no issues with redirected air or boost blow by?
    The main reason is that I'm lazy, and it will cost to have the system removed (I am 'frugal').

Users Country Flag

Take it out yourself mate. It's not rocket science, it's guy stuff!!
    As much as I enjoy getting my hands dirty, I have a fear of 'car-no-go' syndrome; caused by a) not following instructions, or b) stupidity (see a).

Users Country Flag
    As much as I enjoy getting my hands dirty, I have a fear of 'car-no-go' syndrome; caused by a) not following instructions, or b) stupidity (see a).
    I could do some pretty precise instructions for you if you want.

Gavin

I could do some pretty precise instructions for you if you want.

Gavin
    That would be awesome! Thank you.

BJX specific?
    One of the main reasons for lack of enthusiasm is that with all of the tutorials online, ensuring that it is actually for my chassis / engine is crutial to success.

Users Country Flag

That would be awesome! Thank you.

BJX specific?
    One of the main reasons for lack of enthusiasm is that with all of the tutorials online, ensuring that it is actually for my chassis / engine is crutial to success.
    I could do as, I have a Polo but all 1.8Ts of that era are the same make up.

The worst part, if there is one is that you need to partially drain the cooling system to fit the blank. One of the bolts that holds the combi valve tower is right behind a water outlet on the side of the head.

That's probably the worst part. I did one in the street outside my house a while back for ST165.

There's a drain tap on the radiator on the passenger side. Drop the coolant into washing up bowl, ask your mum first, then you can reuse it. I do this as there's no where local, to dispose of it in an environmentally way.

You need an odd 13mm nut to retain the dipstick tube bracket. I can dig one out for that and send it too.

Gavin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast