Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse Lights - is there only one?

My rear fog light might switch itself on automagically if tailgated really badly by some idiot.
    Interesting bit re the air switching for the reverse.
    The reversing lamp is pretty weak though, my Honda's a lot better.

1 rear fog, 1 reverse

Shade Guest
    VW's are not the only manufacturer to have models with only 1 reverse light and one rear for lamp. A lot of small cars have this set up e.g the Toyota Yaris Hatch.

An yes please do not have your rear fog lamp on during normal clear nights or days for that matter, it tends to blind the people behind you and is normally followed my swearing directed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    An yes please do not have your rear fog lamp on during normal clear nights or days for that matter, it tends to blind the people behind you and is normally followed my swearing directed at you.
    Unless they are tailgating you (which can't really happen because we are in a super dooper polo gti!) then you blast them with lights and tell them to BAK OFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Unless they are tailgating you (which can't really happen because we are in a super dooper polo gti!) then you blast them with lights and tell them to BAK OFF!
    Reminds me of a funny story - my brother used to have a Pajero and their fog lights from memory when they turn on appear like brake lights - well some guy was tailgating him so he turned on his rear fogs - the idiot slammed on his brakes thinking he was gonna hit him!

I think I will use them more for idiots like that rather than visibility

At this rate, I'm going to keep learning more about the POG as I go on. I saw the reverse light with one light on and rang VW immediately for a warranty defect.

Then I thought, this car has surprised me so much, why not search here and see if it's normal

I went to great effort to pull apart the R rear fog ,to replace the orange bulb with the idea of jumping the wire from the left to get two backup lights !! R socket has different bayonet fitting so i ground off the tang of a bulb of a white bulb then talked to local agent .They scared me off jumping the wire saying it might cause problems with control unit.Anybody know if the were just blowing smoke?

It could, but the small voltage change would be very minor.

They are doing what they do best, protecting themselves.

Users Country Flag

After having people tell me that I have one light as well, I have read (but am happy to be corrected) that to conform to EU standards the rear fog and reverse light must be "reversible/swappable" so that if you are in the UK for instance the fog light MUST be on the right or in the middle (not on the left) however else where it must be on the left side or the middle (even if the car is still a right hand drive car from UK). Thus I would assume the fog and the reverse light wires must both exist on each side? and it SHOULD therefore be easy enough to just plug another reverse light into the correct plug/wires, and have two. (I'm guessing it maybe at the expense of the fog light to have room to mount the light, which is ok as the foggy in Australia is not legally 'required') This would be an interesting question for anyone that has more expertise on the wiring of these cars?

Cheers DCN

Disclaimer: Please be aware I do not have any first hand proof this works, and am asking those in the know if it works, I do not recommend trying it, unless at your own risk!
    Last edited by DarkCloudNebulae; 11-04-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12