Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Lights - is there only one?

Reverse Lights - is there only one?

Hey everyone,

I thought I had a problem with the GTI when my dad mentioned there was only one reverse light working. However, a couple of people have mentioned since that vdubs only have 1!

Is this true? If so, do all vdubs young and old have one reverse light?

Yeah mate only one. I think the other side is the rear fog light. Cant be positive though.
    For Sale 2006 VW Polo GTI
    Have a Look
    CUSTOM CODE
    Phase 2

Quote Originally Posted by shaneth View Post
    Yeah mate only one. I think the other side is the rear fog light. Cant be positive though.

yup, the other is a fog light. when you turn on your lights, you can pull it out on notch for your front, and one more for the back. and the instrument cluster would show a fog lamp symbol when the rear is lit.

But please don't do it unless it's really dark, but not all VW's have one reverse light, the mk3 golf has on fog and 2 reverse lights.
    88' Volvo 760GLE
    88' Volvo 740 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by tosspot View Post
    Also, drags are the worst form of motorsport. Who'd want a fast drag car for their street car?

Has anyone else noticed the fans kick up a speed when you put it in reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_GTI View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the fans kick up a speed when you put it in reverse?
    In the manual for my Polo TDI it says it goes into recirc when in reverse so you don't have to inhale the fumes. I believe it would be the same for non TDI polos as well.

Thanks for the heads up!

I have only used rear fog lights once and that was when vis. was down to around 100m in heavy rain - otherwise theyre left off as all they do is p!@# other drivers off.

I can't say I have noticed the fan change Ben - will keep a look out for that tomorrow morning.

i have had a few ppl try to tell me one light is blown funny as trying to tell them its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
    But please don't do it unless it's really dark, but not all VW's have one reverse light, the mk3 golf has on fog and 2 reverse lights.
    Really dark? Yeah how bout you don't use them except for fog, which could be in the day time as well

You'll get every non-vw person letting you know you only have one reverse light. It's not only VW doing this now, it's most european cars.

aus liebe zum automobil

Quote Originally Posted by NickZ View Post
    Is this true? If so, do all vdubs young and old have one reverse light?
    depends upon the model and the age. early beetles had no reverse lights, till i think in late 60's then they had two. new beetles had only one but you could buy the lens for the other side and make it into two reversing lights.
    Not sure about golfs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast