Support VWWC

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Devil mkII - The Journey Continues

Little update, I finally decided to sell the silver polo after 8yrs of ownership. It's off to a good home and in safe hands with fellow forum member Sam.

So now the red one becomes my daily and track car. It's barely seen the track this year so far, though will do as the year progresses, life gets in the way of living and all that.

The forge sump is on and I've got an oil cooler to fit at some point. Beyond that, I don't foresee any further development on the car, it's now driving better than ever.

Word on warning to peeps, I thought I had an oil leak around the turbo oil feed line as I could smell what I thought was burning oil when the window was down when I'm driving. I couldn't see any leaks and oil level wasn't changing, I'd changed cam cover gasket and cam tensioner gasket recently, so I took it to my mechanic. Turns out it was exhaust gases entering the car from the rear, being sucked in via lower pressure once the window was cracked. We have large 2-way valve like grommets in the rear of the car, one had failed allowing exhaust gas to be sucked in. My mechanic picked it as exhaust immediately. Exhaust gases are toxic AF, so when in doubt, be sure to get things checked out.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Yeah I second that. After my crash which blew out the rear window I was limping the car home and actually started to feel really sick. I pulled over and went and got a coffee (that's my solution to any form of discomfort really) and the penny dropped that it wasn't my head rattling from the hit but fumes being pulled in through the back window. On a quiet road I'd have probably drifted off.
    Good find by the mechanic - and a weight off your mind now knowing you're not dealing with an expensive leak.
    Last edited by sambb; 30-04-2017 at 09:08 PM.

It's been an uneventful last 5-6months. I've needed to do very little with the car. Changed street tyres to a Federal RSRR and worn out the Kumho V70's. Have put the Yoko A050 (softs) on the enkei rims, though yet to run them.

I ended up getting a new PB on the RSRR's over the kumho V70's which is pretty epic considering the price difference and the Federal's being a street oriented tyre. I do think I over heated the V70's early in their life which ruined the grip from them, well I hope it was me/my fault as I was never overly impressed with them. The federal's feel very good, was slowly building up pace as I've not ran a street tyre for years. Grip was awesome so plan to run these for future events and pull the A050's out for the occasional dash. I did a 62.8 lap at lakeside on the RSRR.

I'm doing my first CAMS event this weekend out at Morgan Park, Warwick, so have had to get the car sorted and license, etc for that. I had fire extinguisher mounted already, so just needed a secondary bonnet restraint. Hope this does the trick, though is never called upon. Have also cut out behind the number plate to allow better air flow. Will pull the front bar off at some point and seal up around the radiator to bumper to ensure air has to pass through. At the moment I feel air just passes around it so my intake temps go up after a few laps

Last edited by seangti; 25-09-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    neat job on the secondary bonnet restraint mate. i might do something similar on the m3 if i can do it without modifying anything if you know what i mean (use threaded mount points already on the car etc). the carbon fibre bonnet is very light and blows around a fair bit which is a tad concerning and thought this might help ease the nerves...

what did you use for the strap and hardware please?

Users Country Flag
    Porsche car club event at MP is da bomb! Let us know what you think of the track upgrades

Users Country Flag

hey bud,
    The round eyelit attached to the panel behind the headlight has a M8 thread/bolt in it, so I'm confident that it's strong enough. I had to drill an 8mm hole in the bonnet to secure the carabiner.

2x 6mm Carabiners
    1x rubber ocky strap (though now on reflection that isn't fire proof so cams may not be too impressed. There's minimal heat in that section so not worried about heat). I have heard that modern cars are considered to have a secondary bonnet restraint given it's a 2 step process to release the bonnet.

If they (cams scrutineer) don't like it, i'll get some steel wire and try again.

This weekend is a Porsche club day, so should be some nice toys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Porsche car club event at MP is da bomb! Let us know what you think of the track upgrades
    What do you mean upgrades?

Wonder if we can access the pit bays this time...

Users Country Flag
    Oh ya, I forgot about the pit bays...you might wanna ask. Last I remember you could hire one for $40. Maybe they're included?

They spent a heap of money on resurfacing. Not sure what else they did.

Hi Rich. Johnny Five alive! No disassemble

Users Country Flag

thanks Sean, i did notice that the bimmer has a second stage catch as standard so i thought that might be the get out of jail free card if it all went south. i wasn't too sure how good it would be at high speed though but in zee true German engineering style it looks pretty bloody robust...

i'm going to see if i can get a better rubber seal between the bonnet and slam panel also as i think air is getting in there and trying to lift the bonnet. i have physically tried to rip it open and no dice. i'm not known for my hulk like powers though so i'm investigating all options. i really don't want to go down the bonnet pin path...

have a good time at Morgan Park mate and take it easy...

hey Ben, long time no see. hope you're well mate...

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast