Support VWWC

Thread: Ramair induction kit

Users Country Flag

Ramair induction kit

Anyone heard of these? Comes with everything required to fit our cars.

Performance Foam Air Filter & Heat Shield Induction Kit - VW Polo GTI 1.8t (9N3) | Ramair Filters

Can land them from the UK for under $150.

Users Country Flag
    Basically you remove the oem airbox and in its place fit the panelling that boxes in a void behind the battery. Difference between that and oem is that at least the OEM has a cold air feed from the front of the car. If this is the same one as pics I've seen fitted to Polo's then it does away with the cold air feed and will be drawing engine bay temp air instead. Compared to the convoluted paper filter in the oem airbox I'd bet that the oem filter has a much greater surface area to filter/flow through. It'll be louder than oem so if that's what you're after you'll probably get it but no way will you get a 10hp gain like they claim. I think you'd be lucky to not go backwards. Honestly I'd just buy a 2.5 or 3in (can't remember) convoluted tube from autobarn. Remove the intake pipe to the airbox which if still standard is an asthmatic little tube. Remove the cold air feed which is torx screwed into the front panel and cut the flap out of it with a Stanley knife. Stuff one end of the tubing into the backside of this cold air feed once refitted and de flapped and clamp the other end of the bigger tubing to the airbox inlet and then you will notice a performance difference for 15 bucks.
    Another trick is to remove the airbox. Get a metal oil pouring funnel and heat it up with a hot air gun and also run a tiny bit of heat over the airbox inlet. Then jam the funnel into the airbox inlet and if you do it bit by bit you'll end up creating a nice bellmouth going into the box. Run your tubing over this and you've pretty much taken care of everything.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah I thought it didn't look too effective as it would allow a lot of hot air to flow through the filter. I already have a BMC panel filter in and have a PD160 intake here ready to fit.

Just thought it was an interesting find as it's the first one I've seen for the 9N3.

Users Country Flag
    cool - I think your set up will be working just fine. If you haven't already done it make sure you cut the flap out of the CAI throat.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Yeah will be cutting that flap.