Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polo Power steering problem!!!

Users Country Flag

Polo Power steering problem!!!

Holy hell, recently the coolant/cooling light went on and I checked the reserviour tank it was still over the minimum level so I topped it up a little anyways and the light hasn't gone on since (and I only topped it up by a measly 30 or so mls). Now a week later, this morning the power steering light lit up and all of a sudden the steering went all stiff whilst I was parking the car. So damn lucky it happened when the car was REALLY slow and not when I was still on the friggin freeway!!! The car only recently had its 45k service. Don't they check and top up levels? Why is my car doing this all of a sudden? There's no evidence of any leaking of fluids on my driveway either. Any similar experiences or clues anyone?

Check the fluid level (which can be a pain) and if the fluid looks good, maybe take it to a mechanic/auto elec that can scan the computer and see what fault it is showing?

How is the steering now?

Did you notice your revs drop when you were parking (like nearly stall)?

No issues here, but makes me want to check my fluid...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    How is the steering now?

Did you notice your revs drop when you were parking (like nearly stall)?

No issues here, but makes me want to check my fluid...
    Steering was fine after I turned the car off and then on again and the light hasn't come back on today. Last night was a scare though. I called the local VW service dept and they didn't want to look at it today and asked me to book it in next week (despite the fact that I told him I drive the car back and forth between bendigo and melbourne on a regular basis).

Revs didn't drop when parking whilst the power steering failed but sometimes while driving or sitting there idling and operating the stereo or turning on headlights, the car seems to dip in power and nearly stall or the stereo would turn itself off an then on again.

Have no clue what's wrong with it. It was fine before I went on holiday and then the moment I came back after 2 and a bit weeks all the problems started. Is it the battery? Car was built supposedly in late 2007 so assuming it might be the battery's age?

Haven't had a chance to really search where the power steering fluid etc is located as I was dead tired after work.

Just my 2 cents: at the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, the power steering pump is electrical and not driven off the engine by an ancillary drive belt. So the fault may not have anything to do with fluid levels but rather, an electrical fault on the pump itself (it's known that the power steering has 3 assistance settings from GTI-heavyish, normal, and super-light, which means there must be some pretty complex electronics involved, hence more chance for things to go wrong...?) So there shouldn't be any discernable drop in revs even if the power steering is under a higher load

As far as I know, conventional (belt-driven) power steering cars don't get a warning light on the dash anyway because there's nothing electrical to go wrong
    Last edited by Roodosutaa; 20-02-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roodosutaa View Post
    Just my 2 cents: at the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, the power steering pump is electrical and not driven off the engine by an ancillary drive belt. So the fault may not have anything to do with fluid levels but rather, an electrical fault on the pump itself (it's known that the power steering has 3 assistance settings from GTI-heavyish, normal, and super-light, which means there must be some pretty complex electronics involved, hence more chance for things to go wrong...?) So there shouldn't be any discernable drop in revs even if the power steering is under a higher load

As far as I know, conventional (belt-driven) power steering cars don't get a warning light on the dash anyway because there's nothing electrical to go wrong
    Thanks for your input mate as I'm no mechanic by profession but I do know that its a hydro electric power steering system and coupled with all the faults that have been happening suddenly out of the blue, I do suspect an electrical problem somewhere hence my questioning of the possibility of it being the battery etc etc etc...hope to and book it in to get it checked out and will let you guys know of the outcome.

Any suggestions or experiences from anyone are welcome and thanks in advance for your input and enlightenment of my ignorance on this subject matter

Users Country Flag
    Hey Mate

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your car.

I have had more than my fair share of problems with my polo.

I am no mechanic but it sounds like you are experiencing something similar to one of my problems about 12 months ago. I took mine to the dealership. To cut a long story short, I was told it was in relation to a faulty earth.

I hope this helps you sort out your problems.
    Last edited by 28ART; 21-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Roodosutaa View Post

Hey captian obvious, the steering is driven with an electrical pump which is feeding the rack with hydraulic fluid form a pretty large reservoir behind the inner guard left front. Signals are taken from the steering angle sensor and steering wheel speed, voltage and vehicle RPMs are read. So to me it sound like a failing pump/ecu, you will need to go for a drive , after checking fluid level of course, and if its low there is a drama anyway, this can be logged and you can check its not losing voltage on the drive.
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

Hey GTI_Dave...

I've had similar problems. Often when maneouvering in and out of my tricky garage, if i turn the wheel to quickly the radio will turn off and restart. Sometimes the power steering light, ABS light and traction control light all come on. I have been turning the engine off and then restarting and everything goes back to normal. I'll get my mechanic to check the steering system when i get i serviced soon.

I have also had the temp light flashing at me, but the coolant levels are fine, and i've only ever had this happen 15secs after turning the car on, so it's not overheating. Genrally I turn the car off, and then back on and it goes away. Sometimes it happens again straight away, but it's never occured three times in a row.

Does anyone know if these errors are stored in the ECU and can be picked up when they do a diagnostic test at next service?

Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    Hey GTI_Dave...

I've had similar problems. Often when maneouvering in and out of my tricky garage, if i turn the wheel to quickly the radio will turn off and restart. Sometimes the power steering light, ABS light and traction control light all come on. I have been turning the engine off and then restarting and everything goes back to normal. I'll get my mechanic to check the steering system when i get i serviced soon.

I have also had the temp light flashing at me, but the coolant levels are fine, and i've only ever had this happen 15secs after turning the car on, so it's not overheating. Genrally I turn the car off, and then back on and it goes away. Sometimes it happens again straight away, but it's never occured three times in a row.

Does anyone know if these errors are stored in the ECU and can be picked up when they do a diagnostic test at next service?
    Hi FLiP, those are exactly the problems I've been having!!! Have you by any chance got an after market stereo system installed? I've changed my stereo system 8 months ago but don't think its related to it otherwise I would have had this problem since then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast