Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polo Power steering problem!!!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gti Dave View Post
    Hi FLiP, those are exactly the problems I've been having!!! Have you by any chance got an after market stereo system installed? I've changed my stereo system 8 months ago but don't think its related to it otherwise I would have had this problem since then.
    You might find that one the wiring to your head unit/amps etc. may not be grounded properly.

Might be worth a check.
    Previous Rides: Polo GTI, Mx5 10AE, MY05 WRX WRP10, Renault Sport Clio 172
    Current Ride: Evo 8 MR, Fabia MK3

I would be thinking something to do with the electricals for the power steering or the alternator. Just guesses tho.

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys & gals, I took my 07polo gti in for a 15k service and the dealer did a warranty on my battery as it had issues, I did not know that I had any issues, or to think I had a bad battery. I would look at the battery first and then move onto other issues, as long as the fluid was at the right level. Good luck on getting this sorted.

Cheers

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers for that mate. I'll be getting it checked shortly. Crossing my fingers and hoping its just the battery getting old. Mine was built in 07 but didn't get it til mid to late 08.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Recently the problems have been coming on more often so I better get it looked at and today I was stuck driving in Bendigo CBD for a few blocks without powersteering until I stopped at a set of lights and restarted the car and back to normal again (at least until next time).

Sounds like a bad earth connection somewhere.

I'd start checking all earth connections and the termination box ontop of the battery.
    2006 VW Polo Classic 1.9TDi - Currrent
    1994 VW MkIII Jetta VR6 Exec - Sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MhVW View Post
    Sounds like a bad earth connection somewhere.

I'd start checking all earth connections and the termination box ontop of the battery.
    Checked the earthing connections and nothing wrong there. Just met another polo owner who had the exact same problems and aparently after a while of this happening, the car would no longer start. Long story short, VW replaced the battery under warranty.

Just hope its the same problem and not anything else cause I hate electrical gremlins.

Thanks for everyones input. Much appreciated guys.

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys,

My car has been having issues as described above.

How many earth points are there? There's the main one from the battery to the body, plus another one below and in front of the battery. Any others? Guessing there's one from the motor or alternator to the chassis somewhere.

Have yet to scan for fault codes. I have run my multimeter across the battery (replaced this about 6 months ago), which is reading 12.6 volts with the car off and 14 point something with it running.

Users Country Flag
    I've recently been getting the temperature alarm on random occasions too when starting the car in the morning. Coolant levels look ok, and the light goes away if I turn off and start the car again.

Haven't had the steering problem. Sounds possibly dangerous!
    MY2008 VW Polo GTi / GIAC Tune / Forge FMIC / Forge 007 DV / N75 Race / BMC OTA / KW V1 Coilovers / Whiteline Front&Rear Swaybars + Toe-In Shim / Weichers Front&Rear Strut Braces / Full Non-Res Milltek Exhaust / 17" Bora Sport

Since i fitted the new battery - I've come to notice when the car is stationary and i turn the steering wheel that the headlamps dim quite noticably..

Anyone else noticed this?
    9n3 Polo GTI - | GIAC | APR R1 DV | RDA slotted rotors | Remsa pads | Whiteline bushes | 17x7.5" RS6 reps | Optima yellow top | Clarion / Audison / AVI / peerless audio

Users Country Flag

Does anyone have an update on this issue? Its started happening to me an a daily basis
    2008 Polo 9N3 Gti Black Magic + APR Stage 1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast