Thread: Polo gti gearbox urgent!!!

Users Country Flag

Polo gti gearbox urgent!!!

Hi guys, does any one of you still have a spare gearbox for sale or know someone? or do u know any wreckers around Sydney area that could have one?
    I was looking for one few months ago but ended up not buying any as it wasn't necessary at that time but unfortunately time has come and I'm gonna need one now

Any one of you have any contact on VWthunder by any chance? Thanks Mick

PM'd ......
    MODS- TOO MANY

Users Country Flag
    VW POLO 9N GTI 2005-2009 USED 5 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX JDB CODE TRAVELLED 127000KM | eBay

this ones in kirawee. If you suss out where they are you could probably go down there and haggle them.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    VW POLO 9N GTI 2005-2009 USED 5 SPEED MANUAL GEARBOX JDB CODE TRAVELLED 127000KM | eBay

this ones in kirawee. If you suss out where they are you could probably go down there and haggle them.
    Thanks sambb for the tip, i might go to check it out, still thinking about getting the gearbox stripped to know exactly whats wrong with it, The mechanic at VW service inspected it , ( had it running on the hoist ) and he told me that it is either the output shaft or diff (Peloquin LSD) which they can't fixed or rebuild so he said that cheapest and safer option is to get a secondhand gearbox because he thinks its gonna be the diff but he's not 100% sure.

I noticed that they have different gearbox codes, my one is HWY the other one from the link is JDB, is there any difference between them?

thanks

Users Country Flag
    I have both boxes and whilst I'm not sure of internal differences, outwardly the HWY has a steel shifter linkage that mounts onto the gearbox whereas the JDB has a resin one. The actual shifter bushes vary in design slightly too. Despite that they are a plug and play swap as far as I can see though eg I removed a JDB and refitted an HWY with a wavetrac with no dramas. If you do source another box and want to get it rebuilt with the same diff (assuming its ok) or another, PM me and I can put you onto someone who can do it in inner Sydney for a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by MikyHRC View Post
    Thanks sambb for the tip, i might go to check it out, still thinking about getting the gearbox stripped to know exactly whats wrong with it, The mechanic at VW service inspected it , ( had it running on the hoist ) and he told me that it is either the output shaft or diff (Peloquin LSD) which they can't fixed or rebuild so he said that cheapest and safer option is to get a secondhand gearbox because he thinks its gonna be the diff but he's not 100% sure.

I noticed that they have different gearbox codes, my one is HWY the other one from the link is JDB, is there any difference between them?

thanks
    If you just need a diff, I have my stock one at home and happy to send it. Just cover the cost of postage and it's yours. I put a wavetrac diff in mine.

Though your mechanic is right, probably cheaper to just drop a new box in unless you're planning to do the differential.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by seangti View Post
    If you just need a diff, I have my stock one at home and happy to send it. Just cover the cost of postage and it's yours. I put a wavetrac diff in mine.

Though your mechanic is right, probably cheaper to just drop a new box in unless you're planning to do the differential.
    Thanks seangti, I'm getting a secondhand box to swap them over, there is some other issues with selecting gears so I'm going with the whole box just to be safe. Thanks anyway.