Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo 9n3 Performance Tracking Thread #2

Users Country Flag

If anyone who's Sydney based is interested, the next round of the twilight rallysprint series is on this Thursday evening at eastern ck. Basically come to the dragway carpark which acts as the pits at 6pm when the first runs start and it goes until 10.30+pm. Everything from a rally spec UK prodrive aston martin vantage to Neal Bates and some ARC guys/girls to time attack cars and little road registered shopping trolleys like mine. nsscc.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Polo 9n3 Performance Tracking Thread #2-rallysprint-jpgDid round 3 of the whiteline tarmac rallysprints last night. It was really tricky drizzling conditions with the track going from damp to damp with a dry line to full wet on the last three runs. Its was awesome fun to deal with things like time control, rally countdown clock and staged start times. Having a mate as a co driver to tell you when you suck and when you nail something is cool too. We ended up 30th out of the 88 cars that ran. In our 2wd over 2 litre class we ended up fifth behind a time attack RX7, a porsche GT3, a 180SX and the sierra cosworth that I co drove at the last event. Best bit was managing to stay ahead of a lot of the evo/wrx/gtr brigade in the wet:

http://nsscc.com.au/wp-content/uploa...ember-2016.pdf

If I run again i'll need another pauir of A050's as my rears are on the indicators and even better lighting. Going ten tenths at night in the rain when you can't see a goddam thing is a huge rush compared to doing it in the day but gets a bit risky. Nest move there will be a roof/magnet mounted LED light bar.
    Last edited by sambb; 16-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Users Country Flag
    finally got round to working out youtube uploads. Here's a vid of my first run, wet, on stone cold semis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6RZ8kPg33o

Users Country Flag
    New PB for me at the 1/4 tonight. 13.1 @ 106MPH. Ready to try and crack a 12 in cooler weather Polo 9n3 Performance Tracking Thread #2

Polo 9n3 Performance Tracking Thread #2-img_6121-jpg
    2006 GTI Polo - Big Turbo Build - Louis19's Build Thread

Users Country Flag
    far out that's mental!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    far out that's mental!
    Thanks Sam, new tyres felt like they were hooking up well, and the 60ft shows that too!

Users Country Flag
    what tyres are you on now?

Curious if you've tried spring rubbers/blockers. They are really big in the states especially for biasing suspension stiffness for circle track work but are also used in circuit racing (larkham on rpm was showing how they are used in Supercars) and in street car drag racing.

You basically measure your rear spring diameter, the thickness of each coil and the distance between each coil. Buy a pair of spring rubbers - https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...-212/overview/ . You can get them for standard coils and tightly wound coilover type springs. They come in different hardnesses. Install them like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKtCpVw9F70
    when you get to the track.
    They basically lock out one of the coils on each of your rear springs. In FWD drag applications it increases the rear spring rate. When the rear load transfer happens at take off the higher spring rate and resulting higher rear ride height keeps the car raked which helps front end traction. When its all over, you pull them out and drive home on a standard car.

Users Country Flag
    On Re003's now. Those rubbers are interesting, briefly heard about them before but never really looked much into them. I haven't tried any suspension tweaks to be honest, just run it as I do from circuit work, same height etc. I don't go enough to justify trying all different setups/changes, but I'll do some reading up on those anyways for curiosity sake. Thanks for the link ☺

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally have some time to bring my PoD to the drag for the first time
    Was expecting a 14 but it was a lot to learn for a first timer plus the launch control map untested before the runs and I can't turn it off while I was there so 15.1 was the best run of the night :/
    06 Polo TDi

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Times added/updated

Well done Sam, Louis & TDIfan.
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast