Support VWWC

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Polo 9n3 Performance Tracking Thread #2

Big day at QR yesterday. The local TimeAttack competition had it's inaugural King of QR event, whereby we ran 3x sessions (4 laps each) on each the 4 track configurations.

Ran on the Federal RSRR's all day.

Times as per Natsoft
    Clubman: 1:04.3865
    Sportsman: 1:03.3112
    Sprint: 1:00.9029
    National: 1:29.1922
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    were they 4 separate courses within the QR complex and each of them was your best times? Is there much left of the federals?

Quote Originally Posted by sambb View Post
    were they 4 separate courses within the QR complex and each of them was your best times? Is there much left of the federals?
    Turns 1 and 2 are common to all, as is return onto the main straight. So all on the "same track" if you will, just variations. And yup, best lap on each variation. I still get boost drop when backing up consecutive laps at full pace so trying to manage that.

I drove the wheels off the car on the clubman and sprint and close to on the national. For the conditions of the day (which were reasonably warm, ~30 deg), I couldn't have driven it any harder, I felt my driving was quite good, hitting my markers. I was hoping sub 60s on the sprint. Perhaps if that was ran in the morning rather than after lunch than it may be possible but ambitious.
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Its like that in the hillclimbs a bit too. 1st thing in the morning there is too little grip and you don't have your eye in, everyone sets there best runs at about midday cos the air is still coolish and the track is coming good and then even though you are certain you can go quicker in the arvo because you've gotten all familiar with it, you just can't find the time when its hot.
    well done.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Times updated. Good job Sam & Sean - sorry for the delay

One day I'll be back out on the track (when I can find and fix the brake boost leak )
    Resident grumpy old fart
    VW - Metallic Paint, Radial Tyres, Laminated Windscreen, Electric Windows, VW Alloy Wheels, Variable Geometry Exhaust Driven Supercharger, Direct Unit Fuel Injection, Adiabatic Ignition, MacPherson Struts front, Torsion Beam rear, Coil Springs, Hydraulic Dampers, Front Anti-Roll Bar, Disc Brakes, Bosch ECU, ABS

Users Country Flag
    Need Wakefield advice. I have a spare set of A050 mediums that i'll chuck on for a January track day. I have three pretty worn ones but one is an end of 2015 tyre that's only seen about 15 minutes on the track. So which front takes the biggest beating around wakefield - left front or right front?

Need Wakefield advice. I have a spare set of A050 mediums that i'll chuck on for a January track day. I have three pretty worn ones but one is an end of 2015 tyre that's only seen about 15 minutes on the track. So which front takes the biggest beating around wakefield - left front or right front?
    Hoyhoy.

The front left Sam by heaps.
    Hooroo.

Users Country Flag
    Sweet. The other three are torched but front left it'll be for my good'n. Now I finally have a some proper motivation to get the brake ducts in too. thanks Eddy.

Yup, front left takes a beating on the right hand circuit. Only one left hander worth worrying about.

Users Country Flag

Yep, clockwise circuit so left front does the most work. Hot weather in January + Wakefield = will kill A050s if you don't set it up right.

FWD set up tips for Wakefield (yes, it needs a staggered set up);

Equal cold tyre pressure on the rear, start off around 24 psi, then check after 5 laps, should both be 31 psi if not equalise hot pressures.
    +2 psi on the left front when cold, start off around 25 psi right front and 23 psi left front, then check after 5 laps, should both be 31 psi if not equalise hot pressures.

0.25 to 0.50 more neg on the left front than the right front (obvious reason why).
    Rear neg pretty much the same, maybe 0.25 less on the right rear.

At least 3mm and up to 5mm toe out on the front (it's a slow average speed circuit with tight radius corners)

At least 4mm toe out on the rear, 6mm is fine (ditto reasons) plus it ain't easy for you to adjust the rear toe at the circuit.

Lots of rear anti roll, I doubt that you can have too much.

You might need more rebound damping on the front shocks if it starts to understeer on the corner mid to exit transfer to power. There's a lot of brake turn power brake turn power stuff, so you need to keep the front settled. If it's reluctant to turn then try raising the rear ride height say 10 mm, and/or add more front toe out

On the drive down on road tyres it should feel all nervous and twitchy, which is what you want.

Hope that makes sense
    Merry Xmas
    Gary
    Last edited by Sydneykid; 20-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast