I couldn't figure out how to take the bracket out after taking out the torx screws. Something about the key barrel attaching to the handle that held it all together.

Didn't matter too much though because I have got it mostly sorted.

The screw that still sat in there was a 5mm diameter unit with a length of 0.5".

Ended up finding two of the same 5mm diameter screws with the correct thread but at 1" length. I've doubled the length of the screw and was able to do a bit of jiggery to get the screws into place and then turned the brass barrel with a pair of pliers while holding onto the top of the screw with my finger. Once there was a bit of tightness with the head against the bracket the overall came together relatively tightly.

At least in this end though, the screw will not be able to fall out again - it's now doubled in length, there's got to be a lot of jiggling jiggery to have them work their way out again and I think the relative angles available in there would make it hard to anyway.

Happy with it now. I've managed to get the actuator mechanism back to the right position and tight against the bracket so when triggered, hits the unlock mechanism to have the hatch open reliably again.

Thanks again for the tips and help. I definitely would have been a lot more lost had it not been for your experiences!