Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Polo Tyre Thread

Users Country Flag

toyo rep told me that the new R888 called the R888R will be available in 205/45/16 in about 4 months time. nice news for those tracking on stock rims.

Users Country Flag
    Has anyone used falken avensis RT615K's. They do a 205/40/16 that I thought might work well. I know they are a pretty old design now but I'd be curious if that lower sidewall on 16's would work well.

Users Country Flag

The Official Polo Tyre Thread

Needing new tyres to replace my KU39's. Does anyone have any thoughts on RE003 vs PS3 vs PS4 on stock rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I can't do a comparo but I've had two sets of RE003. They are a non directional asymmetric meaning a rim on the left can be put on the right. They wear reasonably well but not great. Your rears will wear on the inside edge due to the rear 1/1/2 neg camber, your fronts will do the same if you have aftermarket camber adjustment. If your front end has stock camber then you will most likely loose the shoulder and then you can switch your fronts to your backs to extend life. I did notice though that while grippy when new they do go off over time and by the time the tread was low (that could have been a function of time < 1.5 years, or just what happens when the tread gets down) they were pretty noticeably down on grip. I found them to have pretty good cornering grip but I've had street tyres that gripped better at the front when trying to get the power down and prevent single wheeling. Be careful with the PS3's you see, I thought they'd been phased out by Michelin and a lot of what you find is grey imported stuff that has strange load ratings etc. For comparable money you will find federal 595 RS RR's which are very good tyres, a complete cut above in compound/construction etc - a street semi for a very good price.

Users Country Flag
    The best street tyres I've had were Dunlop Sport Maxx R/T's. Did everything very well but the wear rate was pretty high maybe a tad higher than the re003's. They cost generally 40-50 bucks a tyre more than the bridgestones but they are worth it. They were original equipment on the wrx's? or maybe even STi's. worth a look if you can find a good price

I'm getting new tyres next week as well and normally I just get ku19 or ku31s I believe I have 19s on the front atm and they grip ok but been thinking of trying something different but looking at tyres the last few days has done my head in lol

Users Country Flag
    Yeah it can be a tough decision to make. 205/45/16 is becoming pretty limited with what you can buy. I just bought a set of Toyo's for my car. I did have another look at the RE003 pricing just in case they had another one of the buy 4 get one free deals they'd been doing. I was told the next promo is a way off so looked elsewhere for a change but on a dollar per performance basis they are pretty hard to beat. The federals I mentioned above (throw yoko AD08R in there with them) are a cut above for sheer grip, steering response etc but you pay for it with a busier ride/road feel and more noise. The dunlops probably cost more than the federals but if you want a dedicated street tyre rather than a cross over track day tyre then they are very good.

Users Country Flag

The Official Polo Tyre Thread

Are RSR's ok for daily use?

Also, Michelin do a PS4 in 205/50 R16 . Can you go up slightly in diameter? (+3% rolling radius)

Users Country Flag
    I know lots of guys who daily RSR and RSRR's and say they are fine. Most say that initially the tyre roar is a factor but once you experience how good they are there is no going back. That's the way I felt about AD08R's too. Yep you go up one profile, lots of guys on here have done it and it actually corrects the speedo error that we have at OE rolling diameter where displayed speed is overestimated. If you're doing the kays you'll get better fuel economy too but it will theoretically dull acceleration slightly. I remember Bulletfast saying that.

Users Country Flag

I've been trying to find out what the legal limit for going up in tyre diameter is. It's either 15mm or 50mm ...

Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast