Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: The Official Polo Tyre Thread

+1 for RSR's. Put them on the front few weeks ago to test out before I start running them on a track pulsar SSS and beyond impressed.

Smashed Putty Rd run and only lost grip when the corner was extra bumpy and I was losing contact/skidding which I can't blame on the tyre. Interested to see how they handle commuting 80km a day but there's so much grip there when needed.

Don't think I'm running as much power as you guys (only S1 + intake) but just grips all the way through 1st. Unlike the old Falkens that were on there and spun in to third.

Also the cheapest premium tyre available for the stock rims. $130ea.

Users Country Flag
    The rsrs are a good tyre
    For me the I don't notice any extra noise from them, but I am running a 3 inch tbe so the car was loud to begin with
    If anything they are quieter than worn re003s
    Dry grip is great, even after 4 months of daily use.
    Wet grip depends.
    In drizzle/light rain they are fine.
    In heavy rain **** me they are sketchy. But there has to be a lot of water on the road to get to that point.
    I'd buy them again especially if you're doing track time. I'm off the track for a while so will probably get a set of re003s again for longevity.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

Users Country Flag
    Which do you find better for steering feel? the RE003’s or RSR’s? I found the Kumho KU39’s better for feel than the RE003’s which really surprised me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    RSR in the dry, easily
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    went from Toyo R1R 195/55/15 on Gti to same size Re003. I'd had the RE003's before on the stock rims 205/45/16. Back to back against the R1R's on the street/open road I'd say they are far better in the wet/damp with better feel and a more progressive breakaway, they are quieter, less harsh/rigid over high frequency bumps. In the dry while you can definitely feel the softer sidewall, the RE003's aren't quite as good as the R1R's but surprisingly close.

Users Country Flag
    The RE003 are a great road tyre
    On the track, less so, that's where I noticed how much better the RSRs are (not R1R but they are in the same segment so to speak)
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    Yep these are just for my road tyres. I've used the RE003's (16's) in a really wet hillclimb once and they hung on like nothing else in the wet. As it became damp I could hear them squealing as though it was dry. I'd bought the R1R's to use on the road and be my comp wets but never got to use them as wets on the track. So that's what the RE003 are for. I'd never expect them to hang in there in the dry on track, no way. The R1R's were a bit strange. They had very good lateral grip, you could corner very hard on them if you were flowing the car but they didnt like doing that with much throttle application at the same time. They seemed to break traction quite early in a straight line, but having said that I was running 3 degrees neg camber which was only loading up the inside edge. The R1R's were only 125 a tyre when I got them and I wouldn't pay over that considering that RSR's are the same money. My Re003's were 140 a tyre with 100 bucks cash back this time.
    For me the king tyre for street that is very quick in a sprint and good in the wet (I've heard RSR's are suspect in this department) were the AD08R's. You pay for them but they were an awesome tyre - just too $$$$ery. Second was Dunlop Sport Maxx R/T (Sti original equipment I think).

Users Country Flag
    RSRs when new are ok in the wet. Heavy downpours less so if there is a lot of standing water
    Everyone said they were terrible in the wet but honestly I had good grip initially. I am a fan of the wet weather HP increase and it wouldn't spin up easily and braking was solid.
    Towards end of life with a bit of wear on them they are diabolical, aquaplane central. I could get it spinning up in 4th.
    I've had R1Rs years ago (in a pinch, needed some fronts quickly) and don't rate them. They lasted about 8k and the grip fell away pretty quickly. These RSRs I've got about 15k out of them and a track day. The RE003s I'll get 20k out of them and a track day.
    08 9n3 Polo GTI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvlee View Post
    The RE003s I'll get 20k out of them and a track day.
    I'm just about to replace my RE003s - I've done 23k and I think 3 track days. Good for a road tyre, they're past the wear marks on all 4 and still gripping well even in the wet but I didn't rate them on the track. I'm going to a standard Bridgestone road tyre this time, I have track tyres, no need for anything special day to day

I can't seem to search this thread for sizes. But is anyone running a 225/50/16 on the oem GTI wheels? I just bought a car and want some good tread on it, needs tyres for RWC so I'm doing it now. And I love me some Hankook RS4's and seems to be the only size suitable.

Really doesn't seem to be a huge amount over stock width, especially compared to some of the guys running wider wheels or lower offset.

Side note, how well to Polo's take a guard roll or pumping if need be?
    Sell me your Polo GTI 9n3 and/or go fast bits.... please

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast