Thread: non adjustable coilovers comparisons

Users Country Flag

non adjustable coilovers comparisons

I'm thinking about going to some coilovers for my pog 2.0. The main reason why I'm thinking of going this way is because I'd have to be going custom for higher spring rate springs in conventional stuts and that will get pricey with long lead times and a lot of guess work. With hilllcimbs where your seat time is so limited and the ability to test different settings is minimal I think non adjustable damping wont be any kind of handicap anyway. I don't have the dollars to stretch to compression/rebound adjustable coilovers anyway but can to non adjustable eibach pro street - S, Bilstein B14 and H&R monotube coilovers.
    The eibach pro street S is apparently one of the same with KW inox V1 (KW use eibach springs and eibach use KW dampers), so I was wondering if anyone who has used/experienced either of these in a Polo, can compare them to the Bilstein B14 or the H&R's. I'd be after the most track focused damping I could get basically.
    I guess the real question is, for the money spent, are these going to outperform the B8 bilsteins anyway? - I'm not so sure they will. I have the ride heights exactly where I want them now so height adjustability isn't even the biggest priority. Its more about being able to run stiffer with appropriate damping. So anyone who can give some kind of comparison between strut vs the coilovers I mentioned, Id love to hear it.
    thanks
    sam

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Doesn't look like i'll be going down this path afterall. While researching it though, I found out some info on some of these coilvers that may help someone else make a decision on them in the future:

Bilstein B14 (PSS) front spring rate - progressive 38-61N/mm (220-350lb/in) emailed response from bilstein.de
    rear spring rate - 45N/mm (257lb/in)

H&R (#29325-2. 2935-1 has been discontinued) emailed response from H&R.de
    front spring rate - helper spring 20N/mm, main spring 70N/mm (400lb/in)
    rear spring rate - 40N/mm 230lb/in)

Eibach pro street -S front spring rate - 36N/mm (205lb/in) Eibach sydney
    rear spring rate - 23-30N/mm (130-170lb/in)

The bilsteins run a much squarer spring rate with the H&R's being more front biased with the roll stiffness. Either of them are a lot more focused than the Eibach's that are not far off strut style street spring rates. Eibach make the springs for KW so you could maybe assume that KW V1's have similar spring rates to the pro street - S but their damper valving might be different.
    Last edited by sambb; 29-03-2017 at 04:04 PM.