Support VWWC

Thread: New Polo GTi

New Polo GTi

Hi everyone, I've just bought my first polo and have a few questions. It's a 2008 GTi,
    a) should the passenger side mirror dip when in reverse? It's just I'm getting a noise that sounds like a motor from that side when I go in reverse. The electric switch does move the mirror.
    b) cruise control turns off randomly but is able to be set again straight away. It's as if brake has been pressed or clutch put in. Overspeed maybe?
    c) how bad is that cup holder in the centre console?

That's all for now folks

Will

a) should the passenger side mirror dip when in reverse? It's just I'm getting a noise that sounds like a motor from that side when I go in reverse. The electric switch does move the mirror.
    Nope, shouldn't dip. Not sure what noise you're describing. The only noise/change in car when you grab reverse should be the aircon re-circulation. It changes from outside air to recirc. I'm not aware what else makes a noise when grabbing reverse.

b) cruise control turns off randomly but is able to be set again straight away. It's as if brake has been pressed or clutch put in. Overspeed maybe?
    See if you can find someone to do a quick scan of the car, it'll provide an error code. Clear/Reset and see if it returns. Could be a faulty stalk. I have had it do such a fault once, but cleared and it's never showed up again. See if a sydney member can run a VCDS scan, only takes a few minutes, check out the meets section perhaps too... A dealer or mechanic should also be right to scan but may charge.

c) how bad is that cup holder in the centre console?
    Bloody awful, the one in the dash is very fragile, yet every clown in the passenger seat feels compelled to press it.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

The noise you are hearing if it is a whirring sound it is possibly just the electro-hydraulic steering or as Sean said it could just be what in my car sounds like the fan speeding up.

Whenever the battery voltage gets low one of the first things that I have found to happen is the cruise control will just turn off. In my car it was the main fuse on top of the battery that failed and wouldn't allow the full charge to get through from the alternator. .
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    That reversing sound will most likely be the recirc auto turning on

They all have cracked dashes
    08 9n3 Polo GTI
    Mods: heaps

Users Country Flag
    Welcome to the forum, your questions look to have been answered above.

The Cruise stalk could be dodgy but a scan will be the best way to tell.

If your Polo isn't tuned already and you find it's too slow in a few weeks, let me know.

Cheers

Gavin

Thanks guys. Yes I pressed the recirc button and confirmed the same noise. Too slow you say Gav? What do you propose?

Users Country Flag

New Polo GTi

Want to make it impossible to use more than 3/4 throttle in first without wheel spin?

Or be able to light up the wheels at 80 kph when it's wet

Then see Gav. More seriously though, better to sort our maintenance and suspension first (Lower control arm bushes etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blue9N3; 02-07-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrcaston View Post
    Too slow you say Gav? What do you propose?
    When you're get the itch for more power let me know and I'll get you my loaner ECU running stage 1 software to try out..

Needs to make sure the LCA bushes are ok or it'll take you off into the bush randomly.

Gavin

If you like it standard, you will love it when it is tuned. I recommend taking up Gav"s offer but you definitely need the LCA bushes to be either Seat or poly.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Thanks for all the info guys. Just need to look at the cruise control issue now and then I'm done for now.